Create, Configure and Manage Services
Learn how to create, configure and manage services. A service is any product or project you need to support and manage through incidents, articles, change tracking and release records. Service Desk can track the development of 1 or more services. A service can be many things, such as a physical product, a website application or just a team project. Account administrators can set up and use multiple services to separate things like teams and reports, and they can also give other users and their customers access to 1 or several services. Each service has a collection of settings that can be customized to suit its needs, such as priorities, categories, and triggers.
Topics in this article:
Service Desk requires you to create 1 new service when you first log in to your account. You can add additional services as follows:
- Go to Configure >Services > Create New Service.
- Enter the service's name and website (if applicable).
- If desired, assign the service to a company using the Company drop-down menu. Each user can be assigned up to 1 company (or no company at all).
- Enable the following options, if desired:
- Agents will be able to flag time entries as billable for this service – Agents with Time User account rights will be able to flag their logged time for this service as "billable."
- Enable support address: firstname.lastname@example.org – A Service Desk support email address is available for each service on the account. Enabling it with this option allows the service to be integrated with a third-party email address (i.e., your organization's support email address) and enable self-registration and incident creation via email. See Enable and Integrate a Service's Support Email Address for more information.
- Click Save when finished.
- On the next page, many additional tabs will appear that allow you to further customize your service, including the option to click Change to upload a service logo. If you have already uploaded a service logo and want to restore the original default logo, click Revert back to service initials. Click Save when finished.
Note: This will be displayed in service menus, timesheets and in the headers of all incidents, problems, changes etc. For best results use an image 61 x 61 pixels. File types accepted are gifs, jpgs or pngs.
- See Configure per-service settings for next steps.
You can copy an existing service, and select your desired components to carry over to the new service, as follows:
- Go to Configure >Services.
- Click the Copy Service icon within the tile of your desired service.
- Enter a name for your new service (must be different from all existing service names).
- Check the box(es) to select your desired components to carry over:
- Configurations: Incidents, Problems, Changes, Releases, Knowledge, Messages, Feedback, and/or Customer Email
- People: Users, Groups, Customers, and/or Companies
Note: All components that remain deselected will carry over with default values.
- Click Copy, and your new service is displayed.
You can configure exactly how you want each service to behave using per-service settings, allowing you to customize services to suit the needs of your organization.
Note: Some of these settings will override their corresponding account-wide settings.
Once a service is created, administrators can modify many aspects of the service, as follows:
- Upload a Service Logo
- Set Priorities and SLAs (Incidents)
- Set Priority Levels (Problems, Changes and Releases)
- Set Types
- Set Categories
- Set Statuses
- Set Default Field Selections for New Incidents
- Add Custom Fields
- Set Approvers (Changes and Releases)
- Set Up Triggers
- Create Templates for Incidents, Changes, or Releases
- Solicit Feedback (Incidents)
- Configure Service Access
- Configure Customer-Bound Email Settings
- Go to Configure >Services and select your service.
- Make your desired changes and click Save when finished with each tab.
Note: Once deleted, the data will no longer be accessible within your account, however, the data remains stored within our system.
- Go to Configure >Services > and select your desired service.
- Click Delete Service at the bottom of the page.
- Click OK when prompted to delete the service.