Enable and Integrate a Service's Support Email Address
Administrators must have this feature enabled in order for customers to use this process.
Integrating a service's support address with an organization's own email address opens up access to a few additional features within Service Desk, including the following:
- Allow users and customers to automatically create incidents from email messages
- Allow customers to self-register for the Customer Portal using email
- Set up automatic employee registration for customers (based on email domains)
Create incidents via email
Administrators can allow incidents to be created via email in either (or both) of the following ways:
- Through the Service Desk support email address – When agents and customers send emails to a service's support email address, the email's contents are automatically converted into incidents submitted under that service. The sender receives a notification that the incident was logged, which includes a link to view it.
Note: Only emails sent from email addresses already registered as a customer in Service Desk will trigger the creation of a new incident. If you would like unknown senders to be automatically added as new customers, see Configure menu > Customer Access > Allow email self registration. See Configure Customer Portal Access Permissions for more information.
- Through integration with a third-party email address – When administrators integrate their organization's own email address with a service's support email address, emails that are received by that third-party email address are automatically forwarded to the service's support email address and then converted into incidents submitted under that service. The sender receives a notification that the incident was logged, which includes a link to view it.
Enable or disable a service's support address
When the support email address is enabled, if someone sends an email to the support email address, a new incident will be created under the designated service using the content from the email.
- Go to .
- On the General tab, use the "Enable support address" check box to enable or disable the support email address.
- Click Save when finished.
Integrate the support address with a 3rd-party email address
When the support email address is integrated with a 3rd-party email address, if someone sends an email to the organization’s own email address, it will be automatically forwarded to the service's support email address. This will trigger the creation of a new incident under the designated service using the content from the email.
- First, enable the support email address (as detailed above in the previous section). Take note of the Service Desk support email address listed on the page.
- Open the email client used by your organization (i.e., Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Outlook, Google Gmail, Apple Mail) and create a new forwarding rule that automatically forwards emails to the Service Desk support email address (from Step #1).
- Test the configuration by sending an email to the organization’s won email address. Within a few minutes, it should create a new incident in the appropriate service with the default assignee, priority, owner etc. as configured for the service.