Update the GoToAssist Desktop Applications
Administrators can choose the frequency with which the GoToAssist Expert and GoToAssist Customer desktop applications on the account are updated to newer builds.
Available update settings
Administrators can create default update settings for all device groups on the account (using the Admin Center), or they can choose different update settings for each device group on the account. These settings will apply to both the agent and Customer desktop applications (i.e., both agents and customers under the device group will have their applications updated).
The available settings are as follows:
Inherit Updates from Admin Settings (only displayed when updating builds for device groups)
This setting "subscribes" the account to update to the version and build set within the account's Admin Settings in the Admin Center.
Regular Updates (default)
This setting leaves the account at the default level, which is an official build release. Whenever a new default build is released, users with this setting will automatically have their application updated to the new default build (not including beta builds). To determine the current default build, please see below.
Regular & Beta Updates
This setting "subscribes" the account to receive beta builds, which will allow users to try out new features and tools before they are released to the general public. Whenever a new beta build is released, users with this setting will automatically have their application updated.Note: It is highly recommended that administrators create a "dummy" device group on which to try out the beta builds by setting only the dummy device group to "Regular & Beta Updates" and leaving the rest of the device groups on the account with "Regular Updates" or "Infrequent Updates".
This setting prevents applications from being automatically updated to a newer build, even if it is a default build. Administrators can select a specific version and build so that users with this setting will not be updated unless their selected build is retired, at which point they will automatically have their version updated to the newest default build.
Older builds are retired on a regular basis to ensure that users receive the newest features, tools and bug fixes and to enable the GoToAssist team to better support future versions of the applications. When an older build is approaching its expiration date, agents with that build will see a "Required version update in XX days" message at the bottom of the GoToAssist Expert application.
How to determine the current default build
Agents can quickly determine the current default build by doing the following:
- Exit the GoToAssist Expert desktop application if it is currently running (from the Windows system tray or the Mac user dock).
- Once the application is no longer running, open a web browser and go to https://fastsupport.gotoassist.com/download/repDownload.
- If prompted, run or open the GoTo Opener app to launch the GoToAssist Expert desktop app but do not log in(as logging in will adjust the current default build to your account's assigned build).
- Check the About menu in the application to view the current default build.
Automatically update the GoToAssist applications
The GoToAssist Expert and GoToAssist Customer desktop applications automatically checks for updates; the Agent application checks each time the application is launched, and the Customer application checks every 24 hours while it is running. When a new build is available (depending on the settings for the device group under which it is installed), the application will automatically start downloading it.
- Agents will see a Download File dialog, and then the following message: "You have been upgraded to the newest version of GoToAssist (vX.X build XXXX)."
- Customers will see a Download File dialog, but they will not see a confirmation message.
Connect with customers on different versions
Sometimes, an agent and the customer they are supporting may be using different versions. In this case, either the agent's or the customer's application will need to upgrade or downgrade their version so that they are both on the same one.
- If the GoToAssist Expert desktop application is running a lower version than the GoToAssist Customer application, the agent will be prompted to end all existing sessions in order to continue to connect to the customer's computer that is running on a different version.
- If the GoToAssist Expert desktop application is running a higher version than the GoToAssist Customer application, the agent will see a dialog box indicating the version of the GoToAssist Expert desktop application (i.e., "Your GoToAssist version") and the GoToAssist Customer (i.e., "Remote application version") and the following options:
- Adjust my version - This will end all active sessions and downgrade the current version to match the GoToAssist Customer application version. This option will only allow you to run multiple support sessions with customers that are running the same version as the GoToAssist Expert desktop application. This will only occur after exiting all active sessions.
- Adjust unattended version - This will begin downloading the required version on the GoToAssist Customer application to match the GoToAssist Expert desktop application version. This option will also allow you to run multiple support sessions with customers that are running different versions than the GoToAssist Expert desktop application without having to end any sessions.
Cancel - This will close the dialog box and return to the GoToAssist Expert desktop application.
What's this? - This displays a dialog that contains information about each of the version control options.
Check for updates manually (GoToAssist Expert only)
The GoToAssist Expert desktop application automatically scans for updates every 24 hours (as long as the application is running), but you can also check for updates manually (as long as there are no active sessions running).
- Right-click the GoToAssist Expert icon in your system tray (Windows), or open the GoToAssist Expert desktop application then click GoToAssist Expert from the Apple Menu bar (Mac).
- Select Check for Update.
Note: If the "Check for Update" option is grayed out, it means you have a new session window open or that you are actively connected in a session. In order to manually check for an update, you must first close all session windows.
- If your version of GoToAssist needs to be updated, follow the prompts to install the update. If no updates are needed, you will see a confirmation dialog indicating your version is currently up to date.