Why am I unable to generate a support key on macOS?
An issue has been identified by our engineering team for users being unable to generate a new support key (create a new support session) using GoToAssist Remote Support v4.7, b1673 on macOS.
When attempting to create a new support session on macOS, users are reporting that the session becomes stuck at loading (spinning cursor) and eventually times out without generating a new support key.
RESOLVED: Please update to the latest version (v4.8, b1692) of the GoToAssist Expert desktop app.
Note: If continuing to use v4.7, b1673 of the GoToAssist Expert desktop app, please use the Workarounds listed below.
To resolve this issue, you will need to generate a new support key from an earlier version, then upgrade back to the latest version.
For macOS 10.14 (Mojave) and earlier
- Downgrade the version of the GoToAssist Expert desktop app to v4.6, b1624 or earlier:
- Log in to the Admin Center at https://admin.logmeininc.com.
- Select Admin Settings in the left navigation.
- In the Build Version Updates in GoToAssist Remote Support tile, click Edit.
- Select Infrequent Updates.
- Use the drop-down menu and select 1624 - 4.6 Build 1624 (or an earlier version).
- Click Save.
- Launch the GoToAssist Expert desktop app to downgrade to the version you selected. If the update does not occur automatically, click GoToAssist Expert (in the Apple menu bar), then select Check for Updates.
- Start a new support session to successfully generate a session key.
- Close the GoToAssist Expert desktop app.
- Upgrade to the latest version in the Admin Center using Steps a - f above and selecting either Regular Updates or Infrequent Updates with 1673 - 4.7 Build 1673.
- Launch the GoToAssist Expert desktop app again to upgrade to the latest version, or go to GoToAssist Expert > Check for Updates to manually upgrade.
- Start a new support session to successfully generate a support key.
For macOS 10.15 (Catalina) or later
- Open System Preferences.
- Click the General tab.
- Under the "Allow apps downloaded from" section, select App Store and identified developers.
- Click the Lock icon to save changes.
- Follow Steps #1 - 7 listed in the previous section above.
Article last updated: 27 September, 2022