About Automatic Incident Data Archival
In order to improve the overall user experience and to expedite the speed at which the incident dashboard and search results load, GoToAssist Service Desk performs regularly scheduled (i.e., daily) archiving of historical incident data within our system. Incidents and their associated data (e.g., comments on incidents) that are older than 2 years from the date they were last updated are automatically archived and available in Read-Only format, however, agents can still use the "Search" feature to access their archived incident data. If you would like to export your entire account, please see below.
While it is the incident and related data that becomes archived, this does not mean Service Desk users need to create a Knowledge Article for every incident. Service Desk users can get the most optimal performance and results by creating Knowledge Articles that document the most useful information, like the root cause of an underlying issue, pertinent actions and processes that lead to identifying a solution, and the solution itself.
The following are examples of the archival process:
Topics in this article:
All incident data that becomes archived still remains available to users in Read-Only format within their account. To access archived incident data, agents can use keywords in the "Search" field, then filter by "All records" in the right navigation under the Services/States section. Users can also filter by "Non-Archived records only" to view service records that can still be edited, as they have not yet been archived by the system.
When users click to view an archived incident, an "Archived by System" notification appears at the top with a message, "This incident was last updated more than 2 years ago and hence it has been archived."
Admins can export their entire account, including ALL Incidents, Problems, Changes, Releases, Messages, Services, Users, Customers, Companies, Groups, and archived incident data in XML or CSV format, as follows:
- Go to https://desk.gotoassist.com/admin/account/export.
- Use the radio button to select XML or CSV format.
Note: Exporting of note fields such as Symptom, Discussion, and Resolution will only be included in the XML format.
- Click Save.
- An email notification will be sent to your account email address once the export is complete. The email will contain the same link (https://desk.gotoassist.com/admin/account/export) where you can download the .zip of your exported account in the file format you selected.
Note: Attachments contained within records will need to be downloaded separately as they are not included in the export.
What data is being archived?
- Incidents and their associated data (e.g., comments on incidents) that are older than 2 years from the date they were last updated.
What actions count as "last updated?"
- De-linking a customer
- Linking a customer
- Closing an incident
- Re-opening an incident
- Any action that requires clicking Save on the incident page (e.g., adding a comment, adding a task, changing assignee/owner/status, etc.)
- Any "mass action"
- Any "trigger" action
What actions do not count as "last updated?"
- Adding a tag
- Removing a tag
- Self-subcribing to the watchlist
- Linking to another incident, problem, change, release, or knowledge article
- Marking items as "Helpful"
- Adding time
When does archiving begin? How often will it occur?
- Service Desk began archiving incident data on May 03, 2017. Since then, an archival script has been run daily.
Can I still view archived incidents?
- Yes. You can search for archived incidents, and they will populate in your search results. You can filter your search results by enabling the radio button for either "All records" or "Non-Archived records only" to perform your desired search.
Can I edit archived incidents?
- No. Archived incidents will be in read-only format, and only accessible in search results.