Create and Publish Knowledge Articles
Knowledge articles are articles that are written and maintained by Service Desk technicians and are a way of providing your staff and/or customers with a clear and common understanding of your services. They can be internal only or made available to your customers via the Customer Portal, allowing you to keep your staff and customers in the know by sharing insights and experiences of your services.
Topics in this article:
1. Click Knowledge > New Article.
2. Select the service under which the article should be created.
3. A new record form is created whenever a knowledge article is added to a service. Knowledge records use the same basic layout as other record forms and can be filled out as follows:
The summary section lists all the basic information about the record, including the following:
- Service – The service to which the record belongs
- Record ID – The individual ID used to distinguish between records
- Owner – The technician who created the record
- Title – The title of the record
Article tab & Status
The Article tab lists all the content needed for the article, including the following:
- Category – The record's category (as configured by an administrator under service settings)
- Internal Only – Selecting this prevents the article from being published in the Customer Portal
- Allow customer comments – Selecting this allows customers to leave comments on the article once it is published in the Customer Portal
- Custom Fields – Any custom fields created under service settings
- Article – An area to create the actual content of the knowledge article and upload any attachments (50 MB max); click Formatting Tips for hints about how to format articles
- Discussion – A space to include any further details, discuss the development of the record and include updates as development continues; comments can be prevented from appearing in the Customer Portal by selecting the "Hide from customers" check box
- Draft / Published – Selecting Draft will leave the article unpublished; selecting Published will publish the article internally and externally (unless the "Internal Only" check box is selected)
- Assignee – The technician to whom the record is assigned
- Watchers – The watchlist is a list of individuals and groups who are "watching" a particular record (click x person watching. Invite more... link to modify list); when the "Notify watchlisted" check box is selected when a record is saved, watchlisted individuals and groups receive notifications about the changes
- Notify watchlisted – When this box is selected, all watchlisted individuals will receive a notification about the changes; in addition, technicians can add a particular group to receive the notification on a per-record basis (without being added to the watchlist)
- Close – Closing a record means that there is no more work to be done and the record is completely finished
Each record can have an unlimited number of tasks assigned to it. See Add Tasks for more information.
Service Desk allows records to be linked to customers, configuration items and other records. This helps ensure that related items are easily visible and the connections between them and other items within Service Desk are visible. Use this space to link all the incidents and changes that are included in a release to have an easy record of each releases contents.
- Link customers – Use the search box to find and select customers who are affected by or related to the record (only 1 customer may be linked to each record).
- Link incidents – Click the Add icon to link related incidents to the record, then select "search existing" or "create new." There is also an option to include the incident's symptom and resolution within the link (visible by clicking it).
- Link problems – Click the Add icon to link related problems to the record, then select "search existing" or "create new." There is also an option to include the problem’s symptom and resolution within the link (visible by clicking it).
- Link knowledge articles – Click the Add icon to link related knowledge articles to the record, then select "search existing" or "create new." There is also an option to include the knowledge article's discussion and resolution within the link (visible by clicking it).
- Link changes – Click the Add icon to link related changes to the record, then select "search existing" or "create new."
- Link releases – Click the Add icon to link related releases to the record, then select "search existing" or "create new."
- Link affected items – The affected items section automatically includes the record's service and linked customers; in addition, related configuration items (CIs) can be linked by clicking the Add icon .
Tags are arbitrary labels that can be added to any record using the text field. Technicians can click a tag to see a list of results that includes all records with that tag, which can be filtered by state and service.
Service Desk provides a time-recording functionality that enables technicians to log the time spent working on records, as well as access visualizations of the work completed and generate reports. Time management can be accessed by selecting Service Desk > Time.
Time users and time administrators can log time spent working on a record under the Time section. They can also click View All to see the full time log history for the individual record.
6. Click Save when finished. Customer feedback statistics then appear in the summary section. See Publish an internal knowledge article for next steps.
Knowledge articles can be published internally within the Service Desk web app.
1. Open the knowledge article to be published.
2. Ensure that the "Internal only" check box is selected.
3. Select Published.
4. Click Save when finished. Agents on the account will be able to view the knowledge article.
Knowledge articles can be published externally to the Customer Portal.
1. Open the knowledge article to be published.
2. Ensure that the "Internal only" check box is not selected.
3. Enable "Allow customer comments" check box if desired.
4. Enable the "Watchlist" and/or "Customer" check box(es) to send a notification to your desired parties.
5. Select Published - Customer Viewable.
6. Click Save when finished. Customers will be able to view the article when they log in to the Customer Portal.