How to Change Update Settings for Multiple Hosts
With Update Management you can change the update settings of multiple Windows hosts.
- In , go to the Updates page.
- Click the checkbox for each computer or group of computers you want to manage.
- Click Change settings.
- Change how Windows installs updates. Some settings may be managed by the system administrator. See Windows documentation for details. All settings are the same as in Windows.
Option Description Important updates Select how important updates are downloaded and installed.
- Install updates automatically - Updates are downloaded to the host and installed automatically. If an update requires a restart, the host will restart automatically. No user interaction is needed. To avoid disruption on the host, you can schedule updates to be installed out of business hours.
- Download updates but let me choose whether to install them - Updates are downloaded to the host, but you can decide on the best time to install those updates. If an update requires a restart, then this option allows you control when hosts are restarted.
- Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them - The host automatically checks for updates, but does not download and install those without user interaction.
- Never check for updates - The host does not check for updates. You can still manually check for updates by selecting Check for updates now on the Update settings page.
See Microsoft's website for information on how updates are categorized.
Who can install updates Choose who can install updates. Not valid for Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows 2003 hosts. Software to update Choose to install either Windows updates only or Microsoft product updates along with Windows updates (for example, Microsoft Office updates).Tip: Don't want to change a particular setting across multiple computers? Choose Keep current setting of the computers to leave a setting unchanged.
Result: You will be notified whenever there is a host to which settings cannot be applied. Click the X computers link to see which computers were excluded.
- To display delivery options, click Change next to How the settings above are delivered to hosts.
These settings are not applied to hosts, but rather tell how to deliver the Updates-related settings.
Option Description Attempt to connect to computers for will attempt to change how Windows installs updates for this period of time. Wake up computers Send a Wake On LAN command before attempting to deliver changes to update settings. Hosts must meet all Wake On LAN requirements. See How to Wake a Computer in Sleep Mode or Powered Off Using Wake On LAN.
- Click Apply Settings.
How to restrict certain updates to be installed automatically?
- In LogMeIn Central, on the page, select the computer you want to change.
- For Important updates, select Download updates but let me choose whether to install them from the drop-down list.
- Click Apply Settings.
Results: This way, Windows updates are downloaded to the host, but you can choose which ones to install. See How to Choose Which Updates to Apply.