Web App Attendee Guide
You can join sessions online instead of using the desktop app or a mobile app. The GoToMeeting Web App is a browser-based version of GoToMeeting that can be run entirely online! Unlike when hosting or joining sessions with the desktop app, the Web App does not require any downloads because it stays contained within your web browser. This can be especially beneficial for users who are having trouble installing the desktop app or are in locked-down environments that can't download software.
When the Web App has been enabled, GoToMeeting will automatically detect the optimal join method for each attendee. You can also opt to join directly via the Web App.
Host or join using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer:
This will allow you to join or host a session using the HTML5-based Web App.
1. Open a Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer web browser.
2. Go to http://app.gotomeeting.com.
3. Enter the Meeting ID, then click the arrow key.
- If you are the organizer, click start the meeting at the bottom of the screen. Then log in when prompted.
4. You'll be automatically launched into session!
Join using Apple Safari:
This will allow you to join the session using the Adobe Flash-based Web Viewer app.
1. Open a new browser window (if you are using Google Chrome or Internet Explorer, see above).
2. Go to " https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/<meetingID>?clientType=flash".
Be sure to enter your meeting's unique 9-digit ID in place of "<meetingID>".
3. You will then join the session automatically!
You can use the following features and tools when you join a session from the Web App! Note that organizers must enable the Web App in order for attendees to join via their web browse.
- Join instantly without going through a download or installation.
- Connect to the audio conference using your computer's mic and speakers* or by dialing via phone.
- View shared webcams and share your own.*
- View the presenter's shared screen, and share your own screen.*
- Mute and unmute yourself, and see which attendees are speaking.
- Send chat messages to other attendees (either privately or to everyone).
- Switch seamlessly to the desktop app if you want to use additional features and tools.
When using the Web App, you can broadcast your own screen (or a specific application) to the rest of the session participants. To do so, you will need to complete a 1-time installation of the screensharing browser extension.
See Share Your Screen (Web App) to learn more. Note that this is available on Google Chrome only.
1. Click the Screen button in your toolbar. If you do not see the icon, ask the organizer to make you Presenter.
2. A list of options will pop up. You can chose "Entire screen" to share your primary monitor, or select an application to share.
Note: All applications that are currently open will be shown. If you do not see the application you want, be sure that it is not currently minimized.
3. Click Share to continue.
4. While your screen is being broadcast to other meeting participants, you will see a floating notification reminding you that other attendees can see your screen. You can click Hide to minimize the window if desired.
When using the Web App, you can broadcast your webcam to other participants during the session so that you can collaborate face-to-face. Up to 25 different webcams can be shared during a session!
See Share your Webcam (Web App) to learn more. Note that this is available on Google Chrome only.
- To preview your webcam, click the Webcam button or click the Settings icon > Webcam tab in the toolbar.
- To share your webcam, select the desired device from the drop-down menu and then click Share my webcam on the Webcam tab.
- To stop sharing your webcam, click the Webcam button again or click Stop sharing my webcam on the Webcam tab.
Communicate with your fellow attendees! You can send instant chat messages to other participants at any time during the session.
- Click the Chat icon in the toolbar.
- Use the drop-down menu to select the recipients of your message (everyone, organizers only, presenters only or a specific attendee).
- Enter your message in the text field, then click Send
When you receive a chat message, you will see a notification if the Chat pane is hidden or closed or if you are on another browser tab. The Chat Notification icon will also indicate how many unread messages you have received. Private and public chat messages can be easily distinguishable by color and the "to" recipient (public chats will say "Everyone" and private chats will say "Me").
By default, the Web App will display a real-time indicator that makes it easy for you to identify which individual is currently speaking. You can turn these notifications on or off.
- Click the Settings icon in the toolbar.
- On the General tab, enable or disable the "Show who's talking" check box.
You can also click and drag the notification box around the screen to the desired location.
Got the wrong info? You can change the name and email address that is displayed to other attendees at any time.
- Click the Attendees icon in the toolbar.
- Click the Arrow icon next to your name and select Edit name & email.
- Enter your desired name and email, then click OK.
- Click the Settings icon in the toolbar.
- On the General tab, use the drop-down menu to select the desired language.
Your changes will be remembered for future sessions.
You can easily switch to the desktop app during a session to access all of the features that GoToMeeting offers.
See Switch to the Desktop App for more information.
While the Web App allows attendees to use many of the same features and tools as the GoToMeeting desktop app, there are some features that are still being worked on. To use any of these features, attendees can simply switch to the desktop app while in session.
- Attendees cannot take control of the presenter's mouse and keyboard.
- Attendees cannot use drawing tools.