Diagnosing video conference system problems
The following steps use Polycom RealPresence Desktop (a virtual video conference room application) and Wireshark (a network diagnostics tool) to identify where connections are failing.
Verify your system is:
- Powered on
- Any control devices are powered on and properly connected
- Set up per manufacturer’s instructions
- Connected to the network
Set up the diagnostics
Free diagnostic tools help identify problems with the meeting join process. Download and install the following tools to a computer or laptop with network access to your video-conference system.
Wireshark is a free network protocol analyzer that tracks and records network packets. The GoToMeeting support team uses Wireshark to identify join problems on conference room systems. To download the latest version, go to the Wireshark site.
Polycom RealPresence Desktop
Polycom RealPresence Desktop is a virtual conference room system that enables you to test meeting join events. You can get a 30-day trial version to debug problems.
The basic steps for diagnostic troubleshooting are:
1. Launch Polycom Desktop.
2. Launch Wireshark.
3. In the initial Wireshark screen, enter the location of the capture filter file on your hard drive.
4. Generate the following files in Wireshark:
5. Contact GoToMeeting support to evaluate the files.