Why can't I log in to my computer? (error 5 / 1326 / 1327 / Login failed.)
Many users experience problems logging in to host computers.
An error 1326 or error 5 indicates that you are incorrectly entering your Windows/Mac user name or your Windows/Mac password. Error 1327 usually means you entered a blank password (that is, you did not enter any password at all).
- an user account that is password protected and has the required permissions to connect to a remote host.
- A user added in the LogMeIn Control Panel. See How to Specify User Access Rights
You may also see:
Login failed. Enter the [Windows/Mac] user name and password you see when physically sitting at the remote computer.
Another common reason is when your host is on a network domain in which case you have to enter the domain name as well. For example, if your host is on a domain, called besthardwarestore, and your user name on the host is jsmith, then your full user name is besthardwarestore/jsmith.
- On Windows, open a Command Prompt and type whoami
- On a Mac, go to then select your user and click Login Options. You find the domain name in the Network Account Server field.
How to Retrieve Your User Name on a Windows PC
- While sitting at the computer that you want to be able to access, press and hold the Windows key and press the letter R on your keyboard. The Run dialog box is displayed.
- In the box, type cmd and press Enter. The command prompt window will appear.
- Type whoami and press Enter.
Your current user name will be displayed.
Important: When you are on a computer domain, the domain name is also part of your user name. In the example above, the user name is 3amlabs/kirtes, where 3amlabs is the computer domain of the user.
How to Retrieve Your User Name on a Mac
- Physically go to the computer that you want to be able to access, or ask someone who is present at that computer to perform the following steps.
Tip: In some cases, you may need to ask for help from the person who manages the host software at your organization.
- Click the Apple menu and go to .
- Any user in the Administrators group can be used to log in to the computer.