Web App Attendee Guide
You can join sessions online instead of using the desktop app or a mobile app. The GoToMeeting Web App is a browser-based version of GoToMeeting that can be run entirely online! Unlike when hosting or joining sessions with the desktop app, the Web App does not require any downloads because it stays contained within your web browser. This can be especially beneficial for users who are having trouble installing the desktop app or are in locked-down environments that can't download software.
Note: Once you have switched to the desktop app, you will then use it to join subsequent sessions directly rather than first joining via the Web App. Please see Compare Join Methods for more information.
When the Web App has been enabled, GoToMeeting will automatically detect the optimal join method for each attendee. You can also opt to join directly via the Web App.
1. Open a Google Chrome browser.
2. Go to https://app.gotomeeting.com.
3. Enter the Meeting ID, then click the arrow key.
4. You'll be automatically launched into the Waiting Room or the live session!
5. If you are the organizer, click start the meeting. Then log in when prompted.
Note: Feature availability will vary based on your browser (Google Chrome is recommended).
- Join instantly without going through a download or installation.
- Connect to the audio conference using your computer's mic and speakers or by dialing via phone.
- View shared webcams and share your own.
- View the presenter's shared screen, and share your own screen.
- Record the meeting with organizer roles
- Mute and unmute yourself, and see which attendees are speaking
- Send chat messages to other attendees (either privately or to everyone)
- Switch seamlessly to the desktop app if you want to use additional features and tools
Note: The availability of these features depends on the attendee's web browser. See Compare Web App Features.
When using the Web App, you can broadcast your own screen (or a specific application) to the rest of the session participants. To do so, you will need to complete a one-time installation of the screensharing browser extension if you are running Google Chrome v71 or older.
See Share Your Screen (Web App) to learn more.
When using the Web App, you can broadcast your webcam to other participants during the session so that you can collaborate face-to-face. Up to 25 different webcams can be shared during a session!
See Share your Webcam (Web App) to learn more.
Communicate with your fellow attendees! You can send instant chat messages to other participants at any time during the session.
- Click the Chat icon in the upper toolbar.
- Use the "To" drop-down menu to select the recipients of your message (everyone, organizers only, presenters only or a specific attendee).
- Enter your message in the text field, then click Send
When you receive a chat message, you will see a notification if the Chat pane is hidden or closed or if you are on another browser tab. Private and public chat messages can be easily distinguishable by color and the "to" recipient (public chats will say "Everyone" and private chats will say "Me").
By default, the Web App will display a real-time indicator that makes it easy for you to identify which individual is currently speaking.
- Click the Settings icon in the top toolbar.
- In the General tab, enable or disable the Show who's talking box.
- Click the Attendees icon in the toolbar.
- Click the More icon next to your name and select Edit name & email.
- Enter your desired name and email, then click OK.
- Click the Settings icon in the toolbar.
- In the General tab, use the "Select a Language" drop-down menu to select the desired language. Your changes will be applied immediately..
Switch to the desktop app during a session to access all of the features that GoToMeeting offers. See Switch to the Desktop App for more information.
- Click the More icon in the top toolbar.
- Click Switch to desktop then Switch to desktop again to confirm. The GoToMeeting desktop app will launch.
While the Web App allows attendees to use many of the same features and tools as the GoToMeeting desktop app, there are some features that are still being worked on. To use any of these features, attendees can simply switch to the desktop app while in session. See Compare Web App Features for more information.
- Attendees cannot take control of the presenter's mouse and keyboard.
- Attendees cannot use drawing tools.