Why is my computer "unavailable"?
If you log in to your GoToMyPC account and see that one of your computers is Unavailable, then there is a connection problem at the host computer that is preventing you from establishing a session. You will need to physically go to this computer to resolve this issue.
There are three issues that may cause a host computer to go offline:
- The host computer is powered off or in sleep mode
- The host computer is not connected to the Internet
- The GoToMyPC host software is not running
You can also rely on the information below the computer's status which appeared when communication from your host computer was lost. This may help you figure out what caused the host computer to lose its connection with GoToMyPC.
Getting a computer back online
To make an offline Mac or PC available for remote access, you need to be at the computer and ensure that the following conditions are met:
- The host PC is turned ON (you do not need to be logged in, and for security reasons the computer should be locked).
- The host PC is connected to the Internet with a live Internet connection.
- The GoToMyPC host PC software is running.
To start the GoToMyPC service on a PC
- From your Windows Start menu, select AllPrograms, and then GoToMyPC.
Note: If GoToMyPC is running on a PC, you will see the icon in the system tray.
To ensure GoToMyPC is available while your PC is turned ON
- Right-click the GoToMyPC icon in your system tray.
- Select Preferences.
- From the Host Preferences tab, ensure that the boxes next to Automatically and Disable sleep mode on host computer have checks.
- Without these items checked, you will need to ensure that GoToMyPC is running and that sleep mode has been disabled each time you leave the host computer unattended. Otherwise it will not be available for remote access.
To manage sleep mode on a Mac
GoToMyPC is able to turn off sleep mode on your Mac, but putting your host Mac to sleep manually through the Apple menu icon or closing the lid on a MacBook can cause GoToMyPC to go offline. If you see the icon in the top menu bar but your computer is still offline, reboot your host Mac. If the GoToMyPC software does not come back online, please contact Global Customer Support for assistance.
To remove the red x from the icon in the system tray
- Right-click the icon in the system tray and select Quit.
- Click Yes to confirm.
- From your Windows Start menu, select All Programs, and then GoToMyPC.
- This restarts GoToMyPC. If the program icon still has the red X over it, call Global Customer Support for assistance.