GoToMyPC provides a secure connection to your host computer from a client computer using temporary, downloadable software, which can make configuring GoToMyPC with firewalls difficult.
If a client computer remains stuck on Initializing connection with your host computer, try the following steps to resolve your connectivity issue:
First, make sure that your security software is up to date. GoToMyPC periodically releases updates for both host and client software. You may need to update your security software to the appropriate version provided by your manufacturer in order for it to recognize newer versions of the GoToMyPC software.
To check that the connection problem is not an account-related issue, you can start a GoToMyPC session from another client computer. If the problem seems limited to one computer, then it may be related to your security software.
If GoToMyPC connects successfully, attempt to enable your client computer’s firewall with GoToMyPC by following the instructions below:
Note: Your security software should allow you to create an exception for GoToMyPC, as the software runs from a temporary location on your computer.
To enable your client computer's firewall with GoToMyPC
- From the GoToMyPC website, log in to your account.
- If you have multiple accounts associated with one email address, choose the account you want to access and click Go.
- Choose the PC you want to connect to and click Connect.
- On the connection status page, click the manually download GoToMyPC link.
- Run gotomypc-start.exe.
- Open Windows Explorer and type %temp% into the address bar.
- Open the most recently updated G2_### folder (g2viewer.exe should be within the folder).
- Note the file path (C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Local\Temp\G2_570 or similar).
- Open your firewall software and use the file path to navigate to and authorize the temporary file g2viewer.exe to complete the exception.
Note: Some firewalls may allow a connection if you create an exception for the downloadable filegotomypc-start.exe, regardless of whether g2viewer.exe has also been exempted.