How do I manually enable a printer?
The GoToMyPC printer uses a universal print driver that works with most printers but in some circumstances, you must manually install the manufacturer’s specific print drivers.
Task One- Install the client’s printer driver on your host computer
- On your client computer, click Start > Control Panel > Devices and Printers.
- Right-click the printer you would like to manually enable and select Printer Properties.
- Under Advanced > Driver, note the printer driver.
- Log onto your host computer and navigate to the manufacturer’s website.
- Download the printer drivers for the client’s model of printer to the host.
Important: If prompted, select the host’s operating system.
Important: Ensure that the print driver you plan to download matches or most closely matches the existing print driver on the client computer.
Task Two – Add the client printer to your host’s recognized devices
- On your host computer, right-click the icon in the system tray of your remote desktop and select Preferences.
- Select the Printing tab and then click Add Printer. The Add Printer wizard opens.
- Click Add a local printer.
- Under Use an existing port, select GoToPort and click Next.
- Select the manufacturer and model of your client printer.
Tip: The printer driver you downloaded may not come with installed software. If so, locate the setup file that is needed to complete the installation. Click Have Disk and locate the downloaded driver folders.
- If the printer you select already has a driver installed, you can choose
- Use the driver that is currently installed (Recommended)
- Replace the current driver
Tip: If a driver is not installed, you must enter the driver name manually.
- Under Printer Sharing, select Do not share this printer.
Results: The print driver is successfully installed. You can now print a test page or set the GoToMyPC printer as your default printer.