Why do I see a message that "LastPass.app would like to receive keystrokes from any application" and should I allow it?
When you install the LastPass Mac app, you may be prompted with the message to allow or deny the LastPass.app to receive keystrokes from any application. This permission is for utilizing the global search functionality (Quick Search) for LastPass on your Mac.
Allowing the permission
If you choose to click Allow on the prompt, you will be able to use the Quick Search tool in LastPass to look up and manage your Vault items, including the following:
- Launch sites, copy usernames and passwords, copy site URLs, edit site entries, or delete sites
- View, copy, edit, or delete secure notes
- View form fill items, or fill a form
You access Quick Search by doing any of the following:
- Open the LastPass for Mac app, then click the LastPass Menu Bar icon in your toolbar, and select Quick Search
- Open the LastPass for Mac app, then click Window on your Menu Bar and select Quick Search
- Use the following hotkeys (which can be changed in your LastPass Preferences): Shift +Command +L (⇧⌘L)
Denying the permission
If you choose to click Deny on the prompt, you will not be able to use the global search functionality for LastPass, but you can still search for items within your Vault via the LastPass Mac app.