How do I set up LastPass Universal Proxy?
In order to use LastPass Universal Proxy you need to download the LastPass Universal Proxy software, then install it on a server within your infrastructure and configure the settings.
- Download the LastPass Universal Proxy software.
- Add your application to LastPass.
For the specific steps, see How do I add MFA Apps for LastPass users?.
- Run the installer.
- Configure the LastPass Universal Proxy settings using either the command line interface (CLI) or the server.properties configuration file. Note: It is highly recommended to restrict access to the configuration file that has been created as a result of configuring the LastPass Universal Proxy. For the specific steps, see How do I restrict access to my configuration file for the LastPass Universal Proxy?.
- Configure your application.
LastPass Universal Proxy works for any on-premises application that uses LDAP, LDAPS or RADIUS authentication protocols (for example, VPN gateway). You need to configure your application to forward authentication requests to the LastPass Universal Proxy.Important: In order to use LastPass Universal Proxy 4.0 with the RADIUS protocol, an Active Directory Connector must be installed and an Active Directory must be present.
The following table shows the supported VPN applications and the protocols they can use:
- Assign your users.
In order for the authentication prompts to be passed to your users, you need to assign your users permission to use the LastPass MFA and the application (for example, VPN) you have set up.
- In LastPass, provision your users with a LastPass MFA account. Important: The username must be the same between the LastPass user record and your primary authentication server record.
- In order for your users to log in using passwordless authentication, they must activate their individual user accounts. For more information, see How do I activate passwordless authentication?.
- In LastPass, provision your users with a LastPass MFA account.
- Test your configuration.
Once you have set up the Universal Proxy and configured your application, it is recommended that you test the authentication. To test, open your application, attempt to log in, then check for an authentication request. Request type will vary depending on the Server Modes you configured. When you have successfully authenticated with your user account, you are ready to roll it out to users within your organization.