What is the binary component in LastPass?
The binary component (i.e., Native Messaging) is included in the LastPass Universal Installer for Mac and Windows, and is supported on the Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Opera, desktop web browsers. Download now
What features in my web browser are supported when using the binary component?
- Autologoff on browser close
- Autologoff on browser idle
- Share login state between browsers
- Copy Username/Password/Notes to clipboard (not supported on Linux)
- Copy Password when generating secure passwords
- Clear Clipboard after use (found in Advanced Preferences)
- Faster encryption and decryption
- Share login states between other browsers (not supported on Safari for Windows)
- Use Windows Fingerprint Authentication (not supported on Mac OS X, macOS, or Linux)
- Use Smart Card Authentication
- Import and Export of data
- Add attachments to Secure Notes
How do I know if I have the binary component installed?
To determine if the binary component is installed, do the following (instructions will vary based on your navigational view):
- Click the LastPass icon in your web browser toolbar.
- Navigate to any the following (based on your view)
- Go to Account Options > About LastPass.
- Go to More Options > About LastPass.
- In the Binary Component section, one of the following will be listed:
- True = installed
- False = not installed but if desired, click Enable Native Messaging to install it. Once installed, you will need to restart your web browser in order for changes to take effect.
Note: You can also install the binary component by using the LastPass Universal Installer for all supported web browsers.
What are the limitations and compatibility?
- Not available for Chrome OS
- Not available for Opera 12 on Mac OS X. We believe this to be a bug in Opera 12 for Mac OS X.
- For Opera, the Preference option "Enable plug-ins only on demand" must be disabled.
- For Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), the LastPass Menu Bar must be enabled. To enable the LastPass Menu Bar, go to Safari View > Show LastPass Menu Bar after installing.
- If you are experiencing issues with the binary component disappearing in Safari, be sure that "Stop plug-ins to save power" is disabled by going to Safari Preferences > Advanced.