Set Up LastPass to Use the LastPass MFA Authenticator
The LastPass MFA authenticator is an adaptive authentication solution that supports various forms of authentication, including biometrics (face or fingerprint recognition), as well as pattern matching. You can use this authenticator to verify your login for your LastPass Enterprise password Vault (if you have one) and/or websites that you sign in to and use daily.
Please note that feature availability within the app may vary depending on the settings configured by your LastPass admin.
This mobile app can only be used by LastPass business account holders (LastPass Enterprise with MFA trial, LastPass MFA only, and LastPass Identity). Learn more about our LastPass Enterprise Identity solutions.
Not what you're looking for? Please see the LastPass Authenticator.
First, activate your LastPass MFA account
Once activated, you can enable the LastPass MFA authenticator to be used to protect your LastPass account as follows:
- Log in to LastPass and access your Vault by doing either of the following:
- Go to https://lastpass.com/?ac=1 and log in with your username and Master Password.
- In your web browser toolbar, click the LastPass icon then click Open My Vault.
- Select Account Settings in the left navigation.
- Click on the Multifactor Options tab.
- Click the Edit icon for LastPass MFA.
- For the "Enabled" drop-down menu, select Yes.
- For the "Permit Offline Access" drop-down menu, choose from the following:
- Select Allow if you want to allow access to LastPass even when you are offline. This will store an encrypted Vault locally so you can log in without using Multifactor Authentication in case of a connectivity issue.
- Select Disallow to prevent offline access, which requires the use of Multifactor Authentication and to be connected to the internet when using LastPass.
- When finished, click Update.
- Enter your Master Password, then click Continue.
- The LastPass MFA authenticator now displays as Enabled. Test your authentication by logging out of your LastPass account, then logging back in and accepting the authentication request.
Use the LastPass MFA authenticator
Your LastPass admin must configure apps and websites in order for you to use the LastPass MFA authenticator.
- Open the LastPass MFA app on your mobile device.
- Navigate to your desired website (that your LastPass admin has configured to use LastPass MFA) and proceed to log in.
- When prompted in the LastPass MFA app, tap or select Accept for the authentication prompt. You will have one minute to accept, as indicated by the timer on the screen.
- Authenticate with your face or fingerprint and pattern, then you will be logged in to your website.
Additional features and troubleshooting
- Want to learn more about the features available in LastPass MFA? Please see the LastPass MFA app settings.
- Need some help with LastPass MFA? Please see LastPass MFA troubleshooting.