Use the LastPass Mac App
The LastPass App for Mac allows you to view, edit, and manage your Vault directly from your desktop from a standalone application, while still giving you a streamlined access to launching your sites into the Safari web browser for an automatic login.
Note:Safari is the default web browser that is used when launching site entries via the LastPass Mac desktop app, and this default setting cannot be changed to allow use of another default web browser.
Install and launch
Note: If you are a LastPass Enterprise admin, please see Install LastPass Software Using the Admin Console.
- Download and install the LastPass Mac app from LastPass at https://lastpass.com/misc_download2.php#app-for-mac.
- Once installed, click Open launch it.
- Enter your username and Master Password, then click Log In.
If prompted, complete steps for Multifactor Authentication (if it is enabled on your account).
Use the LastPass Mac app Vault
The LastPass App Vault stores all of your site passwords, secure notes, and form fill items for you to access on your Mac.
Vault features include:
- Easy navigation between sites, secure notes, and form fill items
- Add, edit, or delete a site password, secure note, or form fill item
- Hover over your desired site password, secure note, or form fill item, then choose from the following options:
- Click the Launch icon to launch a site and log in automatically with your stored credentials
- Click the Copy Username icon to copy the username to your clipboard.
- Click the Copy Password icon to copy the password to your clipboard.
- Click your username in the lower-left navigation, then select from any of the following, if applicable:
Add a new item:
- Click Add item.
- Click to select your desired item type.
- Fill in all the information you want to store. Depending on your item type, you can also:
- Click the Favorite icon to mark as a Favorite
- Manage Autologin (site passwords only)
- Manage Disable Autofill (site passwords only)
- Manage Require a Password Reprompt
- Generate a New Password (site passwords only)
- Assign to a folder
- Add Attachments (secure notes and form fill items only)
- Click Save when finished.
Edit or delete an item:
- Locate the item you would like to update or remove, then click Edit.
- You can:
- Make your desired changes, then click Save.
- Click the Delete icon to remove and send to Deleted Items
Use the LastPass Menu Bar options
Click on the LastPass Mac app to bring it in focus, then navigate between the Menu Bar items to complete various tasks or manage settings.
Refresh, Clear cache, or Lock the app
- Click on the LastPass Mac app, then click the File menu.
- Choose from one of the following options:
- Refresh Vault to force recently made changes to be manually synced
- Clear Cache to remove any locally stored files from your active LastPass session, and is recommended to be used when using a public computer
- Lock LastPass to lock access to your Vault and hide it. When relaunching the app, you will need to enter your Master Password or use the Touch ID Bar (if set up) to unlock it.
View and manage LastPass settings
- Click on the LastPass Mac app, then click the Go menu.
- Choose from one of the following options:
- Settings to launch your Account Settings in a separate web browser (learn more)
- Show Deleted Items to view sites, secure notes, or form fills you have recently deleted (learn more)
- View History to view your account history, including login and event entries (learn more)
- Manage Shared Folders to access your shared folders, if applicable (learn more)
Generate a secure password
- Click on the LastPass Mac app, then click the Window menu.
- Click Generate Password.
- Make your desired selections, then click Copy Password.
- Paste where applicable.
Manage your Preferences
- Click on the LastPass Mac app.
- Use the Menu Bar in the top navigation and go to LastPass > Preferences.
- Make your desired changes to your Security, Logging, and Shortcuts settings.
- Click OK when finished.
Set up and use the Touch ID Bar
Note: Feature availability may vary depending on your account type.
You can unlock the LastPass Mac app with your fingerprint via the Touch ID Bar feature as follows:
- Set up Touch ID for your Mac if you have not already.
- Click the LastPass Mac app, then in the Menu Bar go to LastPass > Preferences.
- Check the box to enable the Use Touch ID option.
- Click OK.
- When unlocking the LastPass Mac app or accessing protected sites, you will be prompted for Touch ID.
- On the touch bar, lightly press your finger on the fingerprint reader as indicated by the touch bar notification.
Using Quick Search and Hotkeys
Make your LastPass experience faster by using Quick Search and hotkeys. The Vault and Quick Search can be opened by clicking on the LastPass Menu Bar icon , or you can use the following hotkeys (these can be changed in your LastPass Preferences): Shift +Command +L (⇧⌘L)
Log out or quit
You can log out of the LastPass Mac app or quit the app entirely by doing either of the following:
- Click the LastPass Mac app, then go to LastPass > Log Out or Quit LastPass.
- Click your username in the lower-left navigation, then select Log Out.