Set Up and Use SMS Account Recovery
As one of your Master Password recovery options, you can set up SMS account recovery by adding a mobile number to your account to receive a verification text message in case you every forget your Master Password. Using this option as a means of account recovery will trigger the Master Password recovery flow.
Note: This recovery option must be set up before you forget your Master Password.
In order to use SMS account recovery, you had to have logged in to the LastPass web browser extension at least once since your account was created.
Set up SMS account recovery
- Log in to LastPass and access your Vault by doing either of the following:
- Go to https://lastpass.com/?ac=1 and log in with your username and Master Password.
- In your web browser toolbar, click the LastPass icon then click Open My Vault.
- Select Account Settings in the left navigation.
- Click on the General tab, then scroll to the "SMS Account Recovery" section. If the correct phone number is not listed, click Update Phone.
- Click Add Number.
- If prompted, enter your Master Password and click Continue.
- Use the drop-down menu to select your country, then enter your phone number and click Send Test Code.
- Once you receive the code via text message, enter the code into your web browser window and click Verify. If you don't receive the text message, first click Resend.
- Once verified, a confirmation message is displayed. You can now close that web browser window.
Use SMS account recovery
- Navigate to https://lastpass.com/recover.php, enter your email address, then click Continue.
- The system texts your phone a numeric code. Enter this code into your browser, and click Verify.
- Click Press to Recover Account.
- If prompted, complete steps for Multifactor Authentication (if it is enabled on your account).
- When the next window appears advising that Account Recovery has been detected and that you must immediately change your password, click OK to proceed.
- Enter a new Master Password and confirm, then enter Master Password hint (optional but recommended).
- Click Confirm.
- When prompted with a message that your password has changed and advising you to log out manually (if you are not automatically logged out), click OK to proceed.
- Once you have been logged off of LastPass, you can log back in again using your new Master Password.