How do I reset my LastPass account?
If you cannot remember your Master Password and are unable to recover it using all of the recovery options, unfortunately it means that your account must be reset so that you can create a new Master Password. This will allow you to start over using the same email address as you used before.
For instructions on how to delete your account to purge all of your LastPass Vault data, see How do I delete my LastPass account?.
Please be aware that LastPass Customer Care has no knowledge of a user's Master Password. It is not possible for LastPass Customer Care to reset or change a user's Master Password if it is forgotten.
What happens when I reset my account?
When you reset your account, some data is deleted permanently whereas other data remains.
Data that will be permanently deleted
All of your stored data that is encrypted with your Master Password, including but not limited to the following:
- Site passwords
- Secure notes
- Form fill items
- Established multifactor authentication options
- Approved trusted devices
Data that will remain untouched
Some of your established account settings, including but not limited to the following:
Data that will remain active
Your account status, including current trial or paid subscription plan.
Okay, I'm ready. How do I reset my LastPass account?
- Navigate to https://lastpass.com/reset_account.php.
- Click Reset.
- When prompted, click No to indicate that you do not know your Master Password. Note: Your Master Password cannot be recovered by Customer Care as it is never available or known to LastPass.
- A warning message will appear stating that resetting your account will permanently destroy all of your data, and will encourage you to export your Vault data before resetting if you know your Master Password. However, if you do not know your Master Password, it is not possible for you to export your data as it requires you to log in to LastPass to do so.
- Enter your LastPass email address, then click Send Email.
Result: An email is sent to your inbox that contains instructions and a link to create a new Master Password.Note: Clicking Send Email only sends instructions for resetting your LastPass account. If you decide at this point that you do not need to reset your account, you can simply ignore the email.
- To proceed with resetting your LastPass account, click the link within the email to create a new Master Password. Tip: We recommend using the following best practices when creating your Master Password:
- Use a minimum of 12 characters, but the lengthier the better
- Use upper case, lower case, numeric, and special character values
- Make it pronounceable and memorable, but not easily guessed (e.g., a passphrase)
- Make sure that it is unique only to you
- Don't use personal information
- A good example is: Fidoate!my2woolsox
Result: You have created a new Master Password and successfully reset your LastPass account and have been logged out.
- For security purposes, a verification email is sent to your inbox so you can approve this device as trusted. Check your inbox and click the verification link within the email.
- Once verified, log in to LastPass:
- In your browser toolbar, click the inactive (grey or black) LastPass icon .
- Enter your email address and Master Password, then click Log In.
Result: An active LastPass icon is now displayed in your browser toolbar to indicate you are successfully logged in to LastPass.