Reset Your LastPass Account
If you cannot remember your Master Password and are unable to recover it using all of the recovery options, unfortunately it means that your account must be reset so that you can create a new Master Password. This will allow you to start over using the same email address as you used before.
For instructions on how to delete your account to purge all of your LastPass Vault data, please see How do I delete my LastPass account?
Please be aware that LastPass Customer Care has no knowledge of a user's Master Password. It is not possible for LastPass Customer Care to reset or change a user's Master Password if it is forgotten.
What happens when I reset my account?
- All of your stored data that is encrypted with your Master Password will be permanently deleted, including but not limited to the following:
- Secure Notes
- Form Fills
- Established authentication in Multifactor Authentication options
- Approved trusted devices
- Some of your established account settings will remain untouched, including but not limited to the following:
- Your account status, including current trial or paid subscription plan will remain active.
Okay, I'm ready. How do I reset my LastPass account?
- Navigate to https://lastpass.com/delete_account.php?np=1.
- Click Reset.
- When prompted, click No to indicate that you do not know your Master Password.
Note: Your Master Password cannot be recovered by Customer Care as it is never available or known to LastPass.
- A warning message will appear stating that resetting your account will permanently destroy all of your data, and will encourage you to export it first. Without knowing your Master Password, it is not possible for you to export your data. Proceed to the next step.
- Fill in your LastPass email address, then click Send Email to send an email to you containing instructions and a Master password reset link.
Note: Clicking Send Email only sends instructions for resetting your LastPass account. If you decide at this point that you do not need to reset your account, you can simply ignore the email.
- To proceed with resetting your LastPass account, click the link within the email to create a new Master Password. To create a strong and secure Master Password, we recommend the following:
- Use a minimum of 12 characters, but the lengthier the better
- Use upper case, lower case, numeric, and special character values
- Make it pronounceable and memorable, but not easily guessed (e.g., a passphrase)
- Make sure that it is unique only to you
- Don't use personal information
- A good example is: Fidoate!my2woolsox
- When you have created your new Master Password and logged back in to your account, you can begin setting up your Vault identities, Multifactor Authentication options, and trusted devices. If you had ever previously exported your LastPass account data or use another password management tool as a backup, you can reimport that data now. Otherwise, you can begin adding your Sites, Secure Notes, and Form Fills.