How do I troubleshoot or uninstall the LastPass for Safari app extension?
Need some help? Below are some known issues and how to resolve them when installing and using the LastPass for Safari app extension on your Mac. If needed, you can uninstall the app extension.
Installing on an unsupported version of macOS
- The Safari app extension is supported on macOS 10.12 (Sierra) or later. While the Safari Legacy Extension will continue to function on Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) or earlier, that extension will no longer receive updates due to Apple restrictions.
Safari extension menu is blank
The main cause of this issue may be that your "Local Items" Keychain cannot be unlocked (learn more about possible causes and resolutions for this). If you are using Active Directory credentials to log on to your Mac, or if the permissions for your Mac user account are restricted, please contact your IT administrator to assist with unlocking your "Local Items" Keychain.
Alternatively, here are a few other things you can try:
- Re-enable the Safari extension:
- In the Menu bar, go to Safari > Preferences.
- Click on the Extensions tab.
- Uncheck the box for the "LastPass" option in the left navigation, then check the box again to re-enable it.
- Quit Safari and relaunch again, as you may have clicked on the extension before LastPass finished logging you in to your account.
- Upgrade to the latest version of macOS.
You are not running the latest version of the Safari app extension
You can check for updates and install them by doing the following:
- Quit Safari.
- In the Menu bar, click the LastPass Menu Bar icon > Check for updates.
- If desired, you can check the "Automatically download and install updates in the future" option to allow LastPass to update automatically when a new version is available.
- Click Install Update.
- When finished, click Install and Relaunch to reopen the LastPass Safari extension app.
- Quit Safari.
- Quit the LastPass Safari app extension app.
- Once both are closed, go to your Applications folder.
- Click and drag the LastPass Safari Extension App icon into the Trash.