How do I set up biometrics and mobile account recovery on Android for LastPass?
When using the LastPass Password Manager app for Android, set up biometric authentication as a means of account recovery in case your Master Password is ever forgotten.
You must log in to the LastPass Password Manager mobile app with your username and Master Password before you can set up account recovery using biometrics.
Regardless of how you use LastPass (desktop app, web browser extension, mobile app), it is strongly recommended that you set up mobile account recovery in case other recovery options are not able to be used.
Once set up and enabled, you can reset your Master Password using biometrics (only using this mobile device) to restore access to your Vault. Don't worry, if you skip this step when you were initially prompted, you can always enable it later in the LastPass Password Manager app's Security settings. Alternatively, you can recover your account by using a password hint that you set up when you created or last reset your Master Password.
Please be aware that LastPass Customer Care has no knowledge of a user's Master Password. It is not possible for LastPass Customer Care to reset or change a user's Master Password if it is forgotten.
If you are concerned that your LastPass account has been compromised, follow these steps.
Enable biometrics and account recovery
This feature does not replace the requirement of entering your Master password when accessing your Vault by logging in to the app.
Biometrics are used for authentication in the following scenarios:
- When you have enabled the Reprompt for Master Password feature (globally or specific site entries).
- When you have saved your Master Password in the app's login page, and are returning back to the app. Additionally, you must tap the Vault Options icon and go to and toggle on the switch for Lock LastPass automatically.
- When you have a company policy that requires a Reprompt for Master Password (Enterprise or Identity users).
- If you have enabled the Reprompt for Master Password setting in the App Fill window.
To enable biometrics and account recovery in LastPass for your mobile device, do the following:
- Open the LastPass Password Manager app and log in with your username and Master Password.
- Select the Vault Options icon in the upper-left of the screen.
- Go to .
- Toggle on the switch for the Unlock with biometrics setting.
- To enable account recovery, toggle on the Account Recovery setting.
- Verify using fingerprint or facial recognition.
Use a password hint (recommended)
In addition to setting up fingerprint authentication, it is also strongly recommended that you set a password hint when creating or resetting your Master Password via the LastPass Password Manager app for Android. This should be a keyword or phrase that acts as a clue or subtle reminder that can be sent via email to help you remember your Master Password in case it is ever forgotten. If the password hint helps you remember your Master Password, try logging in to the app again.