How do I reset my Master Password using SMS account recovery for LastPass?
Using SMS account recovery will trigger the Master Password recovery flow as long as at least one of your browsers has captured a Recovery One Time Password (which is created by logging in to the extension at least once).
Before you begin: Prerequisite: To use this account recovery method, you must have already set up SMS account recovery.
- Navigate to https://lastpass.com/recover.php.
- Enter your username, then click Continue.
- The system sends an SMS message to your phone containing a numeric code. Enter this code into your web browser, and click Verify.
- Select Click to Recover Account.
- When prompted if you want to use a one-time password for account recovery, click Yes.
- When the next window appears advising that Account Recovery has been detected and that you must immediately change your Master Password, click OK to proceed. Troubleshooting: If you encounter a message that "LastPass account recovery has failed because your current browser didn't save account recovery data on this computer" or that a "Recovery One Time Password was not detected" try repeating these steps on another web browser where you have logged in to LastPass. For additional information, please see troubleshooting information here.
- Enter a new Master Password and confirm, then enter Master Password hint (optional but recommended).
- Click Confirm.
- When prompted with a message that your password has changed and advising you to log out manually (if you are not automatically logged out), click OK to proceed.
- Once you have been logged off of LastPass, log back in again using your new Master Password.
You have successfully reset your Master Password.
What to do next:
It is strongly recommended that you perform the following steps immediately after updating your Master Password in order to create new Recovery One Time Passwords:
- Log out of LastPass on every computer and/or mobile device where you have installed and accessed your LastPass Vault. You can check your active sessions for all devices.
- Log back in with your new Master Password.