Use Grid Multifactor Authentication
Grid Multifactor Authentication is an option for those who do not want to utilize mobile devices. With Grid Multifactor, you will print a sheet that is used to look up specific matching values when logging in to LastPass, and provide a code derived from your Grid to log in and access your account when prompted by LastPass.
Note: Feature availability may vary depending on your account type.
For LastPass admins, it is recommended that you complete the steps for enabling Multifactor Authentication in the Admin Console.
Set up and configure
- Log in to LastPass and access your Vault by doing either of the following:
- Go to https://lastpass.com/?ac=1 and log in with your username and Master Password.
- In your web browser toolbar, click the LastPass icon then click Open My Vault.
- Select Account Settings in the left navigation.
- Click on the Multifactor Options tab.
- Click the Edit icon for Grid.
- For the "Enabled" option, select Yes from the drop-down menu.
- For the "Permit Offline Access" option, use the drop-down menu to choose from the following:
- Select Allow if you wish to allow access to Grid even when you are offline. This will store an encrypted Vault locally so you can log in without using Multifactor Authentication in case of a connectivity issue.
- Select Disallow to prevent offline access, which requires the use of Multifactor Authentication and to be connected to the internet when using Grid Multifactor Authentication.
- For the "Permit Mobile Device Access" option, use the drop-down menu to choose from the following:
- Select Allow if you want your mobile device to bypass Multifactor Authentication.
- Select Disallow to prevent your mobile device from bypassing Multifactor Authentication.
- For the "Grid" section, you can do the following:
- View and print – Click to display your Grid containing a sequence of letters and numbers to be used as one-time passwords, then save and/or print it.
- Download as CSV file – Click to begin automatically downloading your Grid as a .CSV file, then save and/or print it.
- Reset – Click to reset your grid so a new one can be generated.
- For the "More Information" section, you can choose to be directed to this article
- Click Update when finished, then enter your Master Password and click Continue.
- Click OK to verify that your account settings were successfully updated.
Using Grid Multifactor Authentication
- On your desktop web browser, log in to LastPass at https://lastpass.com/?ac=1.
- Open your Grid.
- When prompted, enter the values requested in the prompt by locating the letter and number requested on your Grid. Using the example Grid above for the following image, you would need to enter the following:
- Z7 = w
- N3 = x
- T5 = k
- P4 = k
- If desired, you can check the box to enable, "Trust this computer for 30 days" and provide a computer name, then click Authenticate. Learn more about managing your trusted devices.
- Once all 4 values have been correctly entered, you will be automatically logged in to your LastPass account.
Using multiple Multifactor Authentication options
Please note that if you have more than one Multifactor Authentication option enabled for your account, you must select your desired default authentication option from the drop-down menu at the bottom of your Multifactor Options window in order to be prompted to authenticate with your preferred option when logging in to LastPass.
Disabling authentication for a lost grid
If you lost your grid or the mobile device used for authentication is lost, you can disable Multifactor Authentication via email so that you can log in to your LastPass account.
Resetting the grid
When your grid usage count reaches 100, we will start sending email notifications until you reset your Grid.
- go to LastPass Account Settings > Multifactor Options
- Edit Grid Authentication
- Click Reset link. Be sure to print out or save your new grid.