Get Started with the LastPass Web Browser Extension
For the most seamless experience, it is highly recommended that you download and use the LastPass web browser extension, which can be used for all of your password management needs without ever having to navigate away from the website you're visiting.
This extension offers:
- Filling usernames and passwords automatically
- Saving new passwords
- Updating changes to existing passwords
- Generating secure passwords on the spot
- Adding and using form fill items (notes, addresses, payment cards, bank accounts, etc.)
- Accessing your Vault instantly
- Customizing settings and preferences
Step #1: Create your LastPass account
If you haven't already, create your LastPass account to establish an email address and Master Password.
Step #2: Download the LastPass web browser extension
Once your account has been created, you can download the web browser extension based on your desired preference:
- Click Quick Install to download the extension instantly for the web browser you're actively using, OR
- Click Download next to your preferred web browser, OR
- Click Download next to the LastPass Universal Installer (Windows, Mac, or Linux) to install for multiple supported web browsers. This installer also includes a recommended binary component, which is responsible for several key LastPass features (outlined here)
Note: For more information, please see our System Requirements for Users.
Step #3: Log in to the LastPass web browser extension (at least once)
Once you have installed the LastPass web browser extension, it is strongly recommended that you log in to the extension at least once to access your LastPass Vault, which is the central hub within your account where all of your data will be stored.
This is important for a few reasons:
- Allows you to use some account recovery options (SMS recovery or reverting to an old password) if you ever forget or need to reset your Master Password.
- Creates a snapshot of your Vault data in the form of an encrypted, locally stored, cached file.
- Automatically generates a Sharing Key so that you can create and use shared folders (if applicable).
What are the login states for the LastPass web browser extension?
Step #4: Manage your web browser extension preferences
Manage your LastPass web browser extension preferences to set up your LastPass account in a way that works best for you.
Step #5: Manage your Account Settings
Manage your Account Settings to tailor various security and account configuration settings to your needs.
Step #6: Use the web browser extension
Now that your LastPass account has been set up, you can start using the LastPass web browser extension menu to easily search for and access items within your Vault, view and copy your usernames and passwords for websites, manage your items (addresses, payment cards, etc.), and so much more! Learn how to use the LastPass web browser extension.