Get Started with the LastPass Web Browser Extension
For the most seamless experience, it is highly recommended that you download and use the LastPass web browser extension, which can be used for all of your password management needs without ever having to navigate away from the website you're visiting.
This extension offers:
- Filling usernames and passwords automatically for login Sites
- Saving new passwords
- Updating changes to existing passwords
- Generating new passwords on the spot
- Adding and using Secure Notes and Form Fills
- Accessing your Vault instantly
- Customizing settings and preferences
Step #1: Create your LastPass account
If you haven't already, create your LastPass account to establish a username and Master Password.
Step #2: Download the LastPass web browser extension
Once your account has been created, you can download the web browser extension based on your desired preference:
- Click Quick Install to download the extension instantly for the web browser you're actively using, OR
- Click Download next to your preferred web browser, OR
- Click Download next to the LastPass Universal Installer (Windows, Mac, or Linux) to install for multiple supported web browsers. This installer also includes a recommended binary component, which is responsible for several key LastPass features outlined here
Once you have installed the web browser extension, log in to your account and an active LastPass icon will appear in your toolbar.
Step #3: Manage your web browser extension preferences
Manage your LastPass web browser extension preferences to set up your LastPass account in a way that works best for you.
Step #4: Manage your Account Settings
Manage your Account Settings to tailor various security and account configuration settings to your needs.
Step #5: Use the web browser extension menu options
Now that your LastPass account has been set up, you can start using the LastPass web browser extension menu to easily search for and access items within your Vault, view and copy your usernames and passwords for Sites, manage your Secure Notes and Form Fills, and so much more! Let's review in detail what each option can do:
- Open My Vault to launch your web Vault instantly
- Sites to launch websites in a new tab and autofill your login information
- Secure Notes to access your online sticky notes
- Form Fills to select form fill profile information
- Generate Secure Password to create a new password for a Site
- Applications (if also using LastPass for Applications) to launch applications with stored login data
- Show Matching Sites indicates the number of matching logins stored in your Vault for the current page your web browser is on, and the Field icon displays the number of matching Site entries, which you can click to select your desired login.
- Recently Used displays the 10 most recently visited or edited Sites; you can manage the list size in your web browser preferences by going to Preferences > Advanced.
- More Options contains the following sub-menu options:
- Security Challenge to check for weak, duplicate, old, or compromised passwords
- Identities to switch between profiles
- Open Favorites to instantly launch all of your favorite Sites
- About LastPass contains web browser extension version information
- Advanced contains the following sub-menu options:
- Refresh Sites forces recently made changes to be processed.
- Clear Local Cache removes any locally stored files from your active LastPass session, and is recommended to be used when using a public computer.
- My Account to view your account information
- Other Sessions to display all of your active LastPass sessions
- Import to import passwords from other sources
- Export to export all of your stored data
- Print to view your Sites and Secure Notes and print out a copy for your records
- Preferences to manage how LastPass behaves in your web browser
- Help to access the LastPass support site