Get Started as a LastPass Families User
Welcome to LastPass Families! Now that you have been invited to be a user on in LastPass Families, let's take a moment to review what LastPass is, and why you should start using it.
Topics in this article:
LastPass is a secure password manager that stores all of your usernames and passwords in one safe place, called a Vault. After you save a password to your Vault, LastPass always remembers it for you. When you need to log in to a website, LastPass enters your username and password for you!
A password manager does many other things, including:
- Creating new passwords for you
- Showing you how strong your passwords are
- Storing information such as PIN codes and membership IDs
- Sharing passwords with others
- Filling out addresses and credit card forms
As a password manager, LastPass will help you in your day-to-day life while improving the overall security of your family's most trusted accounts.
Key benefits of using LastPass include:
- Convenience – No more forgotten or mis-typed passwords
- Time saved – Instantly log in to websites
- Stronger security – Long passwords that you don't have to remember
Now that you understand the basics, let's walk through the next steps to help you get started.
Once you have been notified that your Family Manager has added you as a LastPass user, you will need to create your own strong, unique Master Password. This password should never be re-used for any website or application, as it is intended only for logging in to your LastPass account. Learn more.
We recommend using the following best practices when creating your Master Password:
- Use a minimum of 12 characters, but the lengthier the better
- Use upper case, lower case, numeric, and special character values
- Make it pronounceable and memorable, but not easily guessed (e.g., a passphrase)
- Make sure that it is unique only to you
- Don't use personal information
- A good example is: Fidoate!my2woolsox
Now that you have created your Master Password, you can access your account by downloading and installing LastPass. You can also download the LastPass app for iOS or Android for when you're on the go. Once you've logged in on your computer or mobile device, you can access your LastPass Vault, which is the central hub within your account where all of your data will be stored.
Next, you can learn how to use LastPass to help you manage your usernames and passwords. We've created several informative training videos where you can learn about the key features of LastPass.
Below are some helpful articles to help you learn how to use all of the features and tools available within your LastPass Families account.