Get Started as a LastPass Families User
Welcome to LastPass Families! Now that you have been invited to be a user on in LastPass Families, let's take a moment to review what LastPass is, and why you should start using it.
What is LastPass?
LastPass is a secure password manager that stores all of your usernames and passwords in one safe place, called a Vault. After you save a password to your Vault, LastPass always remembers it for you. When you need to log in to a website, LastPass enters your username and password for you!
A password manager does many other things, including:
- Creating new passwords for you
- Showing you how strong your passwords are
- Storing information such as PIN codes and membership IDs
- Sharing passwords with others
- Filling out addresses and credit card forms
Why should I use LastPass?
As a password manager, LastPass will help you in your day-to-day life while improving the overall security of your family's most trusted accounts.
Key benefits of using LastPass include:
- Convenience – No more forgotten or mis-typed passwords
- Time saved – Instantly log in to websites
- Stronger security – Long passwords that you don't have to remember
Now that you understand the basics, let's walk through the next steps to help you get started.
Step #1: Create your Master Password
Once you have been notified that your Family Manager has added you as a LastPass user, you will need to create your own strong, unique Master Password. This password should never be re-used for any website or application, as it is intended only for logging in to your LastPass account. Learn more.
We recommend using the following best practices when creating your Master Password:
- Use a minimum of 12 characters, but the lengthier the better
- Use upper case, lower case, numeric, and special character values
- Make it pronounceable and memorable, but not easily guessed (e.g., a passphrase)
- Make sure that it is unique only to you
- Don't use personal information
- A good example is: Fidoate!my2woolsox
Step #2: Download and access LastPass
Now that you have created your Master Password, you can access your account by downloading and installing LastPass. You can also download the LastPass app for iOS or Android for when you're on the go. Once you've logged in on your computer or mobile device, you can access your LastPass Vault, which is the central hub within your account where all of your data will be stored.
Step #3: Log in to the LastPass web browser extension (at least once)
Once you have installed the LastPass web browser extension, it is strongly recommended that you log in to the extension at least once to access your LastPass Vault, which is the central hub within your account where all of your data will be stored.
This is important for a few reasons:
- Allows you to use some recovery options (Recovery One Time Password, SMS recovery or reverting to an old password) if you ever forget or need to reset your Master Password.
- Creates a snapshot of your Vault data in the form of an encrypted, locally stored, cached file.
- Automatically generates a Sharing Key so that you can create and use shared folders (if applicable).
What are the login states for the LastPass web browser extension?
|Grey or black||Inactive||Not logged in|
|Yellow||An error occurred – click the icon to view error message||Not logged in|
Step #4: Learn how LastPass works
Next, you can learn how to use LastPass to help you manage your usernames and passwords. We've created several informative training videos where you can learn about the key features of LastPass.
Below are some helpful articles to help you learn how to use all of the features and tools available within your LastPass Families account.
- How do I manage my site passwords?
- How do I add and manage my secure notes?
- How do I add and manage my items?
- How do I add a new password?
- How do I navigate my Vault?
- How do I update a stored password?
- How do I use the LastPass web browser extension?
- Manage Account Settings
- Manage Web Browser Extension Preferences
- Enable Multifactor Authentication (Users)
- Manage LastPass Families Shared Folders
- LastPass Families FAQs