Get Started as a LastPass Enterprise or LastPass Identity User
Welcome to LastPass! Now that your administrator has added you as a user on your organization's LastPass Enterprise or Identity account, let's take a moment to review what LastPass is, and why you should start using it.
What is LastPass?
LastPass makes it easy to access all your apps and websites at work. By combining single sign-on and password management, LastPass connects you to cloud apps and stores all your usernames and passwords in one safe place, called a Vault. Your admin may enable apps for you, or you can save passwords to your Vault as you log in to websites. After you save a password to your Vault, LastPass always remembers it for you. When you need to log in to a website, LastPass enters your username and password for you!
A password manager and single sign-on solution does many other things, including:
Why should I use LastPass?
LastPass will help you in your day-to-day work while improving the overall security of your company.
Key benefits of using LastPass include:
- Convenience – No more forgotten or mis-typed passwords
- Time saved – Instantly log in to websites
- Stronger security – Long passwords that you don't have to remember
Now that you understand the basics, let's walk through the next steps to help you get started.
Step #1: Activate your LastPass business account
Once you have been notified that your organization has added you as a LastPass user, you will need to activate your account by creating a Master Password, then installing the LastPass web browser extension and logging in to your Vault. See instructions for How do I join a LastPass business account as a new user?
Step #2: Log in to the LastPass web browser extension (at least once)
Once you have installed the LastPass web browser extension, it is strongly recommended that you log in to the extension at least once to access your LastPass Vault, which is the central hub within your account where all of your data will be stored.
This is important for a few reasons:
- Allows you to use some recovery options (SMS recovery or reverting to an old password) if you ever forget or need to reset your Master Password. You are also strongly encouraged to set up mobile account recovery for iOS or Android in case you are unable to use other recovery options.
- Allows your LastPass admin to reset your Master Password (if the policy is enabled) if you ever forget to or need to reset your Master Password.
- Creates a snapshot of your Vault data in the form of an encrypted, locally stored, cached file.
- Automatically generates a Sharing Key so that you can create and use shared folders.
Step #3: Learn how LastPass works
Next, you can learn how to use LastPass to help you to log in to your work apps and manage your usernames and passwords. We've created a very simple but robust training portal where you can learn about the key features of LastPass. You can move through the training courses at your own pace, though it typically takes about 20 minutes to complete them all.
Additional Training Resources
Below are some additional training resources to help you learn how to use all of the features and tools available within your LastPass Enterprise or Identity account.
- A step-by-step instructional guide on how to get your employees started with using LastPass.
- A slide deck outlining steps to get started with using LastPass.
- A slide deck outlining how to use advanced user features and tools.
- These short tutorials introduce key LastPass features and show how they work.
- A helpful handout that you can print and keep on your desk as an educational reference.