Generate Secure Passwords
The most secure passwords are randomly generated, and LastPass can be used to both store and generate them. It is recommended to use generated passwords for your Sites and Secure Notes as a security best practice. You can also use the Auto Change feature for supported websites to update your Site passwords with a single click. Learn more about changing Site passwords.
To generate a secure password, do the following:
- If you have not done so, log in to LastPass.
- In your web browser toolbar, click the LastPass icon then click Generate Secure Password. You can also access this window by going to Open my Vault > More options > Advanced > Generate Secure Password.
- Use the drop-down menu to select your desired Password length (or type a number in the text field) – up to 100 characters max.
- Optionally, click Advanced Options to make the following additional security changes:
- Allow All Character Types
- Make Pronounceable
- Require upper case, lower case, numeric, or special character values
- Set a Minimum Numeric Character value
- Avoid Ambiguous Characters
- The following functions are also available to you:
- To use the password in another window, click the Copy Password.
- To generate another password, click the Refresh icon .
- To use the generated password on your current website, click Use Password.