Generate Secure Passwords
The most secure passwords are randomly generated, and LastPass can be used to both store and generate them. It is recommended to use generated passwords for your Sites and Secure Notes as a security best practice.
Are you seeing something different?Learn how to navigate LastPass in the new experience.
- Log in to LastPass with your username and Master Password.
- Navigate to a website for which you'd like to generate a new secure password. Or, if you want to change the password for a site with one that is generated by LastPass, log in to your desired site and access your account's login settings.
- Generate a secure password by doing any of the following:
- Using the in-field icon – Click the Generate Password icon in the Password field.
- Using the web browser extension – Click the LastPass icon then click Generate Secure Password.
- From within your Vault – Click the LastPass icon then select Open my Vault. In the left navigation, go to More Options > Advanced > Generate Secure Password.
- Use the drop-down menu to select your desired Password length (or type a number in the text field) – up to 100 characters max.
- If desired, click Advanced Options to make the following additional security changes:
- Allow All Character Types
- Make Pronounceable
- Require upper case, lower case, numeric, or special character values
- Set a Minimum Numeric Character value
- Avoid Ambiguous Characters
- The following functions are also available to you:
- To use the password in another window, click the Copy Password.
- To generate another password, click the Refresh icon .
- To use the generated password on your current website, click Use Password.
- When prompted in the upper-right navigation, click Add (to add a new set of credentials) or Update (to update an existing set of credentials) with your newly generated secure password.
- Once added, it is recommended that you log out and log back in with the newly generated secure password.