Create an Account
The first step in getting started with LastPass is creating your LastPass account. Instructions may vary, depending on the web browser you are using during account setup and installation.
We're glad you want to sign up and try LastPass! You can start a free trial, or purchase a new plan.
- Navigate to the LastPass pricing page at https://www.lastpass.com/pricing.
- Choose from Try now or Buy now.
- Enter an email address for your new account.
- Create a new Master Password and confirm it. We recommend that you use a short phrase that is unique to your life that you can easily remember.
Note: Learn more about how to create a strong Master Password.
- If desired (highly recommended), enter a Password Hint in the Reminder field. If you ever forget your Master Password, this hint will be sent to you via email to help you remember. Do not make the Password Hint your Master Password!
Once your account is created, you will be prompted to install the LastPass web browser extension.
Install the LastPass web browser extension
As an extremely crucial part of the account recovery process, it is strongly recommended that you install the LastPass web browser extension and log in at least once. This will created a Recovery One Time Password that can be used during the account recovery process if you ever forget your LastPass Master Password.
- Click Install LastPass when prompted. If you navigated away from this page, you can go to our Downloads page at https://lastpass.com/misc_download2.php.
- Proceed with the steps of downloading then installing the web browser extension for LastPass.
- Once the web browser extension has been added, click the inactive LastPass icon that appears in your web browser toolbar.
- Enter your LastPass username and Master Password.
- Click Log In.
- An active LastPass icon will appear in your web browser toolbar indicating a successful login.
That's it! You can now click on any of the popular sites displayed beneath your active LastPass icon to begin adding your credentials, or click Remind me later. When prompted, select I'm Done if you are finished, or Let's Go to open your LastPass Vault and take a tour.