How do I port my number to another provider?
Transferring your existing toll free or local number out of Grasshopper takes some work, but is definitely doable.
To make your transfer quick and painless, follow these steps:
- The transfer process starts with your new provider, not Grasshopper. Your new provider will start the transfer process by having you complete their letter of Authorization (LOA) to give them the authority to initiate the transfer.*
- Once that’s done, your provider will submit a valid transfer request to Grasshopper or our underlying carrier, and we’ll release your number to them.
- Transfer time depends on many factors (e.g., local versus toll free number, the underlying providers involved, etc.) and we can’t always determine turn around time. It typically takes between 1-6 weeks to complete. We’ll get a release or rejection for toll free numbers within 2 business days of receipt of the request.
Grasshopper does’t charge any fees for numbers that are being transferred out, but your new provider may charge a transfer fee to bring the number in. You should check with them regarding any transfer fees before submitting your request.
* The information you provide on the LOA about your Grasshopper account (e.g., name, company name and address) must match the information we have on record. If it doesn’t, your transfer request will get rejected by your provider, so make sure to check your info!
The information on record for some Local Number Transfers may be under the Grasshopper name.
A copy of the CSR for the local number will verify the exact information of record.
- Keep in mind!! Once Grasshopper releases the number, it’s no longer under our control, so we won’t be able to make changes to it after the release.
Also, we do not automatically cancel your account once the phone number has been ported away. You must notify Grasshopper by phone or email if you choose to cancel service.