Start an Activity
Learn how to launch an activity during a training! Using activities during your trainings gives you an interactive way to engage your attendees and can be a revolution in how you conduct your training exercises. You can have your attendees collaborate in real time on a shared Google Doc, watch a video, view an uploaded material – all while you monitor their progress and provide guidance. You can even split your attendees into smaller groups (called "breakouts") for separate discussions or activities.
Also see Learn about Activities and Breakouts for more information.
Topics in this article:
1. First, open the Activity Center page. In the Activity pane of your Control Panel, click Choose an Activity. The Activity Center page will automatically open in a new browser window.
2. Using the Activity Center page, you can set up your activity as follows:
- Select the number of breakouts: If you want to split your attendees up into smaller groups for the breakout (maximum of 6), you can use the drop-down menu at the top of the page to select the number of breakouts. If you want all of your attendees to participate in the activity as one big group, simply leave the default "Everyone" option selected.
- Arrange your attendees: If you choose to use 2 or more breakouts for the activity, you can choose which attendees go into which group (they are randomly sorted into breakouts). Simply click an attendee's name, then drag and drop them into the desired breakout group. Note that if you launch another activity during the same session, your attendees will remain in the same groups.
- Select your activity type: Pick which type of activity you want to launch for your attendees. Note that you can switch activities at any time.
- If you select Edit a document together, don't forget to select which file to collaborate on.
- If you select Share a video, image or PDF, don't forget to select which material to display.
3. When you're ready, click Start to begin the activity! Attendees will be launched into the activity in different ways, depending on their operating system.
See Organizer features and tools to learn about what you can do during a session!
Note: It's a good idea to warn your attendees to pay attention and enable any pop-up blockers that they see in the browser window that is launching the activity. Also let them know that you will be briefly out of communications while the activity is launched.
You can use the Activity Center page to facilitate the activity. Note that you can also continue using the GoToTraining desktop app (which will remain running on your computer) to communicate with all attendees at once.
During all activities:
If you selected "Everyone", then you will automatically join the activity along with your attendees.
(a) Participate in the activity with attendees: If you are not using breakouts, you will be launched into the activity alongside your attendees! You can use the Activity Center page to participate in the activity with them.
(b) View session timer: See how much time has elapsed since the activity began using the session timer.
(c) Switch to another activity: You can change the activity at any time (without first ending the activity) simply by selecting a new option in the right navigation.
(d) End the activity: To return all students back to the main training session, click End. If you used breakouts, attendees will see a 10-second count down warning them that they are about to be returned to the main session. You will need to open the GoToTraining desktop app to start sharing your screen again.
Note: When you are using an activity without breakouts, you can continue to use the desktop app's Control Panel to send chat messages to attendees and to view and lower raised hands.
During activities with breakouts:
If you chose to use 2 or more breakouts, then you will not automatically join the activity along with your attendees. Instead, you will see previews of each breakout and also have some additional features:
(e) Monitor attendees' progress: See a real-time preview of what each breakout is working on.
(f) Join a breakout: Click Join to join a particular breakout and collaborate with the rest of the small group. You will be launched into the activity via the Instant Join app in a new browser tab; you can simply close the tab to leave the breakout and join another if desired.
(g) Send a message to attendees: Click Send a message to all to send a message to everyone, which will appear at the top of each attendee's screen. If you would like to send a message to only the attendees in a particular breakout, you must first join the breakout and then use the Chat pane.
(h) View and lower raised hands: When students raise their hands during an activity, you will an indicator in the attendee list. You can lower the hand by clicking the Hand icon .
(i) View the final Google Drive file: If you had your attendees edit a shared document, then all items will be listed after the activity is over. You can click an item to open the final result on your screen!
(j) Launch a new activity: You can launch directly into another activity by clicking Create another activity; if you are using breakouts, then the attendees stay sorted into the same groups. You can close and reopen the Control page if you want them to be sorted differently.
If the organizer launches an activity using 2 or more breakouts, any participants who are connected to audio via telephone will need to hang up the phone when they are transferred to the activity session and then have GoToTraining call them back automatically.
They can do so as follows:
1. When the activity begins, they will be prompted to enter their phone number and then click Call me now.
2. They will be prompted to hang up the phone so that the system can call them back. They can click OK to continue once they have hung up.
3. They will then receive a phone call from GoToTraining; they can answer the phone and press 1 to be automatically connected to the activity session's audio. If an attendee does not receive a call back, they will have an option to dial in manually.