How to set up auto-translation
With Auto-translation, messages between visitor and operator are translated in real-time, thus allowing both parties to chat in their own language if the language pair is available.
This feature requires a GeoFluent subscription that you can acquire by contacting Lionbridge. Lionbridge will provide you with the account key and secret you need to start using auto-translation.
How does auto-translation work?
- Visitor language: Determined by the chat window's language setting or the language the visitor selected on the pre-chat form. You can define chat window language defaults in the chat window configuration.
- Operator languages: The languages the operator speaks, prioritized by fluency level. You can configure operator languages in the operator settings.
- Language pairs: The translation pair is supported by your GeoFluent subscription.
If the operator and the visitor share a common language, translation is not needed and it is switched off by default. Otherwise, if none of the operator languages match the visitor language and the language pair is available, messages are translated automatically.
GeoFluent is a third-party service. How is my sensitive information protected?
Your content is maintained in a secure, private workspace and never enters the public domain. As per BoldChat standards, messages are transmitted via secure protocols only.
Are visitors aware when chat messages are being auto-translated?
Yes. Visitors are notified in a system chat message if messages are being auto-translated.
Depending on your requirements, original messages can also be displayed for visitors if Allow visitor to see original message is selected in the Chat Window configuration. This option also affects the content of chat transcripts.
How to configure your GeoFluent subscription
- Go to Setup > General Account Settings > Auto-translation and select Enable auto-translation.
- Configure your GeoFluent subscription and defaults.
Option Description GeoFluent Host The host name provided by Lionbridge for your GeoFluent subscription. GeoFluent Account Key The account key provided by Lionbridge for your GeoFluent subscription. GeoFluent Account Secret The account secret provided by Lionbridge for your GeoFluent subscription. Default Language The language operators speak by default. Custom operator language settings override this value. Supported Language Pairs The language pairs available for your GeoFluent subscription. To add or remove language pairs, contact Lionbridge about adjusting your GeoFluent subscription.
- Click Validate credentials and refresh language pairs to check your GeoFluent settings and synchronize language pairs available for your subscription. Remember: You must do this every time your GeoFluent subscription changes (such as adding a new language pair to your subscription).