How to provide a chat window in multiple languages
You can set a chat window to be displayed in any of seven pre-translated languages or 35 custom languages. There is no need to create multiple chat windows for multiple languages.
- Using the desktop Operator Client, create a new custom chat window, as follows:
- From the main menu of the desktop Operator Client, go to Setup > Account Setup. The Account Setup window is displayed.
- On the left menu of the Account Setup window, click Chats > Custom Chat Windows > New
The New Custom Chat Window is displayed.
- On the New Custom Chat Window window, open the Brandings tab.
- On the Brandings tab, next to Languages, click ... (three dots button). The Available Languages window is displayed with only pre-translated languages listed.
- Choose the languages in which you want the chat window to be made available. Don't see the language you want to add? Click List all languages to display languages for that have not been pre-translated.
- Set a language as default. The default language is shown to visitors when no translation is available in their own language.
For example, if English is your default language, then a visitor from Poland will see the chat window in English unless you specifically selected Polish as a provided language and added a Polish translation.
- Customize the window and translations, as follows:
Remember: BoldChat provides translations in the following languages: English (en-US), Dutch (nl-NL), French (fr-FR), German (de-DE), Italian (it-IT), Spanish (es-ES), Portuguese (pt-BR). For all other languages, you must provide your own translations.
- Select an item under Groups > Keys
- Under Text, choose the language you want to edit.
- Change the text or settings.
- Continue making other changes.
- Save your changes.
Can I allow visitors to choose a language? Yes. Go to New Custom Chat Window > Pre-Chat Form > Enable > Language Selector.
How does BoldChat know which language to show to a visitor?
- Selection made by the visitor on the pre-chat form (stronger than all other parameters)
- Language parameter passed by the HTML snippet
- Visitors browser language setting
- Visitors IP
BoldChat looks for a branded (localized, translated) chat window for the chosen or detected language. If no branding exists, the default language is shown.