How to manage incoming SMS according to rules (SMS Rules Engine)
Required permission: Permission Group > Account > Can Setup Rules Engines
- From the main menu of the operator client, go to Setup > Rules > SMS Rules Engine Setup. The SMS Rules Engine window is displayed.
- On the SMS Rules Engine, click New. The New SMS Rule window is displayed.
- Name the rule.
Rules are displayed in the rules list by Rule Name. Each rule should have a unique name for easy identification.
- Set criteria.
- SMS Account
- Phone Number Contains
- Initial Question Contains
- Body Contains
The rules engine compares the properties of incoming SMS against the criteria and performs the rule's action when there is a match.
Can you select multiple criteria? Yes. Multiple selected criteria within a group are evaluated according to OR condition logic, while selected criteria across groups are evaluated according to AND condition logic.
- To route an email when criteria are met, choose the following actions:
- Folder, to send the SMS to a specific SMS folder
- Department, to make the SMS available to members of a specific department
- To assign attributes to an SMS when criteria are met, choose the following actions:
- Custom Field 1 or 2
These attributes are shown to operators as values in columns on the SMS panel. Operators can use the information to make decisions about how to handle or organize SMSs.
- Save the rule.
- Continue to create rules.
- Arrange rules in the order they should be evaluated (Move Up, Move Down). Important: Rules are evaluated in the order they appear in the rules list.