How to manage incoming chats according to rules (Chat Rules Engine)
You can use Chat Rules to evaluate incoming chats and move them to a folder, assign them attributes such as category or status, or assign them an urgency to determine which queued chats are assigned first.
Required permission: Permission Group > Account > Can Setup Rules Engines
- From the main menu of the operator client, go to Setup > Rules > Chat Rules Engine Setup. The Chat Rules Engine window is displayed.
- On the Chat Rules Engine, click New. The New Chat Rule window is displayed.
- Name the rule. Rules are displayed in the rules list by Rule Name. Each rule should have a unique name for easy identification.
- Set criteria. The rules engine compares the properties of incoming chats against the criteria and performs the rule's action when there is a match.
- Custom Chat Window. Apply the rule to chats originating from the selected custom chat window definition.
- Website. Apply the rule to chats that originate from a source associated with the selected Website definition.
- Department. Apply the rule to chats that originate from a source associated with the selected Department definition.
- Language. Apply the rule to chats associated with the selected language, as detected from the visitor's language settings or as set on the Custom Chat Window (pre-chat form).
- Initial Question Contains. Apply the rule to chats with a pre-chat form where the visitor input for the Initial Question field contains the defined expressions.
- Auto Answers. Apply the rule to canned messages assigned to Auto Answers according to the following sub-criteria.
- First Question Contains: Visitor's first question contains the defined expressions
- Last Question Contains: Visitor's last question contains the defined expressions
- Any Question Contains: Any of the visitor's questions contains the defined expressions
- Shown Canned Message: Message included in the visitor's query results
- Clicked Canned Message: Visitor clicked the message
- Last Clicked Canned Message: Visitor clicked the message last
- Rated Positive Canned Message: Visitor rated the message up
- Rated Negative Canned Message: Visitor rated the message down
- Mobility. To apply the rule to chats originating from all devices, select both Desktop/Laptop Visitor and Mobile Visitor.
Can you select multiple criteria? Yes. Multiple selected criteria within a group are evaluated according to OR condition logic, while selected criteria across groups are evaluated according to AND condition logic.
- To route a chat when criteria are met, choose the following actions:
- Folder: Send a chat to a specific chat folder.
- Department: Make the chat available to members of a specific department.
- To route queued chats according to urgency when criteria are met, set an Urgency.
- Incoming items with a higher urgency setting will be distributed before those with a lower setting.
- When urgency is the same for multiple items in the queue, operators will receive the item from the department for which they have the highest priority.
- Chat rule urgency prevails over department-level urgency (see How to determine which queued chats are assigned first (Urgency))
- No Change indicates the rule will not change the urgency of the item.
- To route queued chats according to their difficulty, set the difficulty factor and select the Difficulty checkbox.
- Chats are assigned the default difficulty factor of 1 when difficulty-based routing is not set.
- Chat rule difficulty prevails over department-level difficulty.
See How to assign chats based on their difficulty for details and department-wide configuration.
- To assign attributes to a chat when criteria are met, choose the following actions:
- Custom Field 1 or 2
These attributes are shown to operators as values in columns on the chat panel. Operators can use the information to make decisions about how to handle or organize chats.
- Save the rule.
- Continue to create rules.
- Arrange rules in the order they should be evaluated (Move Up, Move Down). Important: Rules are evaluated in the order they appear in the rules list.
By default, rules are only run once when created or edited, but not automatically applied when manually transferred to another department. To control rule behavior on transfer between departments, go to Setup > Rules > Chat Rules Engine Setup > Apply rules to department transfers (all services).
|Option||Rule behavior on transfer|
|Enabled||Rules are automatically rerun when an item moves to a new department.|
|Disabled||Rules are only run when the item is created or edited. You may need to review all existing rules to ensure that rules still behave as expected.|