How to enable video chat
Allow operators to chat with your visitors face to face. During video sessions, either both parties or only operators can stream video.
Who can use this feature?
- Video chat is available on request for Premier or Enterprise subscribers. Contact your representative for details and pricing.
- Operators can use video chat in the web client only.
- Visitors and operators must use Chrome for Android on mobile, or Chrome version 31 or newer on desktop. Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer and Edge are not supported at this time.
Configuring the chat window
This feature is part of the Custom Chat Window definition process. A chat window definition controls the look and feel and advanced behavior of the interface that is opened when a visitor clicks an associated button or link. When enabled, video options are displayed at the bottom of the chat window.
- Using the desktop Operator Client, create a new custom chat window, as follows:
- From the main menu of the desktop Operator Client, go to Setup > Account Setup. The Account Setup window is displayed.
- On the left menu of the Account Setup window, click Chats > Custom Chat Windows > New
The New Custom Chat Window is displayed.
- On the New Custom Chat Window window, make sure you are on the Chat Form tab. Note: Video chat is only available for layered chat windows.
- To activate video chat for any layered window on either desktop or mobile, select Video Chat. Additional options are displayed.
- Additional options:
- Operator Video Only: Only the operator can stream video. Audio is two-way, but video is one-way. Use this to prevent visitors from accidentally showing themselves.
- Go Directly to Video Setup: The camera setup window is displayed to the visitor after they click the video chat button and complete the pre-chat form (if applicable). The visitor can choose video settings before calling the operator.
- Multiple Visitor Confirmations: When enabled, the visitor is shown an additional prompt before chat begins. Use this for enhanced visitor privacy.
- Speech-to-Text: This feature transcribes the conversation between the operator and the visitor in real time using Google's Web Speech API. Language is automatically detected based on the chat window's language setting that takes into account each participant's IP address and HTTP header. The actual spoken language may not always be accurately detected. Transcribed messages are excluded from the chat transcript and are accessible only to the operator in the Message History panel, marked with STT. Note: The accuracy of speech recognition is influenced by the visitor's acoustic environment, microphone quality, connection bandwidth, clarity of speech and pronunciation. In adverse conditions, transcription quality may degrade and affect the operator's chat experience.
We recommend that you use different machines for testing video chat as operator and visitor.
Check the following.
|Video chat is not available.||Are you using the web client in a compatible browser? Video is only supported in Chrome version 31 or newer. If you are using the desktop Operator Client, go to https://web.boldchat.com/.|
|Webcam and/or audio access is blocked in the browser.|| |
You will not be asked again once you have given permission to access your devices. If the issue persists, check that access to devices is not being blocked globally.
Note: You may need to reload the page for the permission settings to take effect.
|Video is stuttering or breaking up.||Video chat is bandwidth-intensive. Check your network connectivity and quit any application that may produce high network traffic.|
|Video is blank or there is no audio.|| |
|Video chat starts in a popup window.||Your site is served over an unsecured (HTTP) connection. See Configuring the chat window for how to fix the problem.|