How to determine which queued chats are assigned first (Urgency)
When there are more incoming chats than operators can handle, a chat queue is formed. Urgency determines which queued chats will be assigned first.
Urgency can be applied in two ways:
- At the department level as part of Automatic Chat Distribution (ACD)
- At the chat level as part of the Chat Rules Engine
Chat rule urgency prevails over department-level urgency.
- To set urgency at the department level as part of Automatic Chat Distribution (ACD):
- Create a department at Setup > Account Setup > General > Departments.
- On the New Department window, go to the Chat Distribution tab.
- Click Override account-level automatic distribution settings for this department.
- Under Chats queued for assignment, select an Urgency level.
- Save your changes.
Incoming chats for a department with a higher urgency setting are distributed before those for a department with a lower setting. When departmental urgency is the same for multiple chats in the queue, operators receive the chat from the department for which they have the highest priority.
- To set urgency at the chat level as part of the Chat Rules Engine, refer to the instructions for managing chats according to rules: How to manage incoming chats according to rules (Chat Rules Engine).