Building Block: The Chat Window Definition
A Chat Window or Custom Chat Window definition controls the look and feel and advanced behavior of the interface that is opened when a visitor clicks an associated button, link, or invitation. Chat windows can be layered or pop-up, and can be customized in a number of ways.
Where do I create chat windows?
We recommend creating and managing chat windows from the following location: Setup > Account Setup > Chats > Custom Chat Windows.
How do chat windows relate to other BoldChat entities?
- Custom Chat Button
- Chat Link
- Custom Chat Invitation
The direction of the relationship is from button/invitation to window.
A button can only launch one specific chat window, while a chat window can be launched from multiple buttons or invitations.
Why do we call it a "definition"?
It is important to understand that "chat window" does not refer to a simple window (as in the actual graphical user interface element a visitor sees), but rather a complex group of settings associated with that interface element. Together these settings make up a definition.
What is controlled by the Chat Window definition?
- Pre-chat form
- Post-chat form
- Translations and localization (under Branding)
- Operator wrap-up settings
- Unavailable email form
- Customization of the strings of text seen in the chat window
- Automated messages to show visitors waiting for an operator
- Branding settings such as colors, header and footer formatting, sounds, typing indicators, and more
- Chat transcript settings
- How long a visitor waits for an operator before timing out
- Availability of video chat
What is a layered chat window?
As the name suggests, a layered chat window appears as a new element on your page instead of as a new window. Layered windows are optimized for display on mobile devices, but many users prefer them for desktop browsers, as well.
What is a pop-up chat window?
A pop-up chat windows opens in a new browser window.
How do I schedule and verify Chat Window customization upgrades?
Each new BoldChat version comes with improvements or new features to chat windows. To avoid any adverse effects to your existing definitions, you can control when the upgrade process occurs and verify any changes.
To check is an upgrade is available, follow these steps:
- Go to Setup > Account Setup > Chats > Custom Chat Windows.
- Navigate to the Brandings tab.
- When an upgrade is available, the Upgrade button is displayed at the top of the window.
- Click Upgrade to proceed.
- Select your preferred upgrade option. Note: It is recommended to upgrade a copy of your definition.