Set up an SMS account (text messages)
To implement SMS functionality, you must configure an SMS account and provision a phone number to integrate with our SMS gateway.
As with chat functionality, the SMS service supports department based routing, hours of availability, post-chat wrap-up, and canned messages, as well as an auto-respond feature to help you manage incoming chat requests.
- Create a new SMS account:
- At admin.bold360.com, go to Channels > Messaging > SMS. The SMS Accounts page is displayed.
- Click Create New. The New SMS Account window is displayed.
- Set Account Settings:
Option Description Name The account name. Not seen by customers. Department Associate incoming SMS with a department. Auto-End Interval End sessions automatically when a customer's response is not received within the defined period. Thread Ownership Choose how you want to handle the ownership of re-opened messenger threads: Original agent retains ownership of re-opened conversations – When an incoming message re-opens a closed conversation, the originally assigned agent retains ownership.
Original agent must re-accept re-opened conversations – When an incoming message re-opens a closed conversation, the originally assigned agent must re-accept the conversation. If the owner is not available or fails to re-accept, the conversation is reassigned.
Original agent must always re-accept conversations, even if open – When an incoming message arrives to an open conversation, the originally assigned agent must re-accept the conversation. If the owner is not available or fails to re-accept, the conversation is reassigned.
Business Hours Set hours of availability specific to SMS functionality.
- On the Auto Responder tab, configure how you want to automatically respond to incoming messages. Auto responder rules use regular expressions (regex) to evaluate incoming messages. When all criteria are matched, a response is triggered.
Important: We recommend using Create Email Prompt Rules to create a set of rules that automatically asks the customer to enter their email address. The customer's email allows Bold360 to connect the customer to their Bold360 history across all channels (chat, messages, email).
- On the Wrap Up tab, configure how you want to gather information from agents about ended sessions.
- Set an Auto-Close Interval to determine how long an ended conversation remains in the agent workspace before closing automatically.
- Choose the fields to show to the agent in the Wrap Up section of the agent workspace.
- On the Canned Message Folders tab, select the canned messages that you want to make available to agents handling this account.
- On the Phone Number tab, choose your Country and click Find Phone Number. Available countries:
- Australia +61
- Belgium +32
- Canada +1
- France +33 (Domestic SMS only)
- Hungary +36
- Ireland +353
- Israel +972
- Norway +47
- Poland +351
- Spain +34 (Domestic SMS only)
- Switzerland +41
- United Kingdom +44
- United States +1
Always check the Phone Number tab for the latest list of available countries.Tip: If you have your own Twilio account, click Show advanced setup and copy the following details from your Twilio Dashboard:
Option Description Twilio Account SID The ID of the Twilio account that you use for messaging. Twilio Auth Token The token that authorizes calls for the defined Twilio account. Phone Number The phone number that has been provisioned for the Twilio account.
Once a number is provisioned for your account, the number is displayed on the Phone Numbers Dashboard in Twilio. This number is used to provide customers the ability to initiate SMS sessions from their mobile devices. If your organization supports messaging in multiple countries, then you must set up multiple Twilio accounts and define those SMS accounts one by one in Bold360.
- Save your changes.