Provide a chat window in multiple languages
You can set a chat window to be displayed in any of seven pre-translated languages or 35 custom languages. There is no need to create multiple chat windows for multiple languages.
- Create or edit a chat window, as follows:
- At admin.bold360.com, go to Channels > Chat > Chat Windows.
- Select an existing chat window or click Create New.
- On the Customization tab under Languages, choose the languages in which you want the chat window to be made available.
- Set a Primary Language. The primary language is shown to customers when no translation is available in their own language.
For example, if English is your default language, a customer from Poland sees the chat window in English unless you specifically select Polish as a provided language and add a Polish translation.
- Customize the window and translations, as follows:
Remember: Bold360 provides translations in the following languages: English (en-US), Dutch (nl-NL), French (fr-FR), German (de-DE), Italian (it-IT), Spanish (es-ES), Portuguese (pt-BR). For all other languages, you must provide your own translations.
- Select an item under Main group > Key group > Key.
- Under Edit Content, choose the language you want to edit.
- Change the text or settings.
- Continue making other changes.
- Save your changes.
- Save your changes.
- Can I allow customers to choose a language on the pre-chat form?
- Yes. Go to Channels > Chats > [New Chat Window] > Pre-chat form > Standard Fields > Language Selector.
- How does Bold360 know which language to show to a customer?
- Customer language is determined as follows:
- Selection made by the customer on the pre-chat form (stronger than all other parameters)
- Language parameter passed by the HTML snippet
- Customer's browser language setting
- Customer's IP
Bold360 looks for a customized (localized, translated) chat window for the chosen or detected language. If no customized window exists, the default language is shown.
Tip: The customer's language is saved as a property of the chat. This property can be used for routing chat, and can be displayed to the agent. A language property can also be set for departments, allowing automatic filtering.