Knowledge Base Manager - Role Overview
The Knowledge Base Manager holds an extremely important role in the Back Office, as they are responsible for ensuring that the Knowledge Base is kept up-to-date and optimized with the most effective and relevant information, which guarantees the smooth running of the Bold360 ai system and effective customer service.
The Knowledge Base Manager performs their tasks the Knowledge and the Search Optimizer pages. These tasks comprise searching for unanswered questions (articles) and ensuring that they are given an accurate and appropriate answer, writing new answers, editing existing answers, merging existing answers, adding phrasings to articles and adding synonyms.
Managing the Knowledge Base comprises several tasks which should be performed on a regular basis. You are responsible for general "housekeeping" of the Search Optimizer, by maintaining it daily. This involves deleting unnecessary questions, merging questions asked in a different manner to previous questions with existing answers that also fit them, and adding new answers.
The tasks of the Knowledge Base Manager are all intended to optimize the Knowledge Base:
- Optimize the Knowledge Base
- Finding questions that require answers (Filtering, Answering, Merging and Phrasings)
- Adding to and enhancing the Knowledge Base (Writing new answers, publishing existing drafts)
Optimize the Knowledge Base
This is the main task of your daily activities as the Knowledge Base Manager. You must use the Search Optimizer to ensure that the Knowledge Base reflects the most accurate and up-to-date information, in order to best serve your customers.
In the Bold360 ai Console, go to . The Knowledge Base Search Optimizer is displayed:
- All Items - This drop-down list allows you to see all items, meaning all questions and answers.
- All Actions drop down list - Enables you to see questions according to the following filters: Unanswered, Channeled, and Converted. See the section below entitled Find Unanswered Questions.
- Bold360 ai search result - shows the results of the Bold360 ai search for answers to the specific question from within the Knowledge Base.
- Actions column - displays various icons next to each question to indicate what happened after a customer search.
Find unanswered questions
One of the most important things the Knowledge Base Manager must do on a daily basis is to locate unanswered questions and supply them with accurate answers.
The best way to locate and identify unanswered questions, is to filter the view within the Search Optimizer to reflect "No search Results". Every valid question that is displayed there should be answered accurately, either by merging with a differently worded question that has the same meaning (see Merging Answers below), or by writing a new answer (see Writing and Publishing Answers below).
To enhance the search further, select either of the "Escalated to..." filters. The Channeled filter shows questions which were escalated by sending an email to customer support, and the Escalated to Chat filter shows questions which progressed to a Chat with a customer Support representative. The questions that these filters will display are likely to be questions which have already been answered and require more detailed answers, or questions for which no answer was initially found.
To display the answer editor for a question in the Search Optimizer, click the question in the list.
If you know that a question has been asked using a different sentence structure and alternate wording, you can search for this question, and then merge it with the existing question - giving your customers a broader range of vocabulary on a topic and increasing the efficiency of the Knowledge Base. When a user next asks this question using similar wording, they will be provided with this answer.
You can merge an existing answer with a current answer, when the question covers the same content even if it is phrased slightly differently. For example, "How are you?" garners similar responses to "What's up?" or "How're you doing?", but the answer will be "I'm doing fine!" to all three.
To merge answers, do the following:
- Enter a keyword in the existing question in the Choose an existing answer field, and press Enter.
- When the answer is displayed, click the answer to merge it with this new version of the question.
- Click OK in the Update Knowledge Base dialog.
Write and publish answers
You can write a brand new answer or you can enhance an existing one, and then publish it to the Knowledge Base.
- Write New Question/Answer
- In the Bold360 ai Console, go to .
- Write the question, using the most appropriate language for the subject to make the question as accessible as possible to as many customers as possible.
- Write the answer.
- Click Publish.
- Publish draft answers to the Knowledge Base
- In the Bold360 ai Console, go to .
- Click the question that you want to publish.
- In the Article Editor, click Publish.
- Manage phrasings
- When you merge answers, Phrasings (or keywords) are added to the Knowledge Base. Phrasings group questions together that are related to similar content, but which are phrased slightly differently. The Knowledge Base can recognize this and provide the correct answer automatically. Phrasings can also be added manually, although the Search Optimizer adds the phrasings from merged questions automatically.