How to protect customer data (Data Obfuscation)
Data obfuscation, also known as data masking, is a security feature that allows you to replace potentially sensitive data with generic characters to ensure that sensitive information is safe. You can set data (for example, credit card numbers, social security or personal ID numbers, telephone numbers) to be replaced by generic characters either in real-time or once the chat has ended.
This feature is part of the Chat Window setup. A chat window controls the look and feel and advanced behavior of the interface that is opened when a customer clicks an associated button or link.
- Create or edit a chat window, as follows:
- At admin.bold360.com, go to Channels > Chat > Chat Windows.
- Select an existing chat window or click Create New.
- On the Message content tab, select Conceal sensitive information and then choose the following options:
Option Description What to Conceal
Note: Simple number sequences remain visible.
- Select All numeric strings to conceal all recognized number sequences, such as credit card, social security and phone numbers.
- Select Only credit card formats to mask user input that conforms to standard credit card number formats. When this feature is in use, a credit card number such as 12345-12345-12345 is stored as xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.
When to Conceal
- Select Only upon close to allow data to be seen during chat, but then hidden after close.
- Select Immediately, but not from customer and agent to allow only the assigned agent to see the information.
- Select Immediately, from everyone to hide the information from everyone.
- Save your changes.