Canned messages for agents
Canned messages are predefined strings of text that an agent can insert into a conversation. With canned messages, the agent can reuse commonly used responses without having to type them.
- Choose the channel for which you want to create or edit a canned message:
- Chat: Channels > Chat > Canned Messages
- Email: Channels > Email > Canned Messages
- Messaging: Channels > Messaging > Canned Messages
- Create, edit, or copy a canned message on the Canned Messages page, as follows:
- To create a new message, click Create New
- To edit, click an existing message
- To copy, click the Copy icon next to an existing message
- Name and identify the message so agents can find it:
Option Description Name This is never seen by customers; used to identify and reference the message. Subject For messages that are auto answers, the subject is shown to customers as a label in search results. Keywords Enter words and phrases that help identify this message as relevant to a conversation. Shortcut To use this message, agents can type this shortcut as a /slash command (for example, /shortcutname)
- Set the message's Language.
This value acts as a filter to ensure that agents see only messages that match the customer's language or with no value specified. For example, when an Italian speaking customer starts a chat, the agent sees Italian canned messages plus those with no language value.Tip: Subject, Keywords, and Body should use the same language.
- Type and format the message.
Channel Options Chat HTML* or plain text HTML* or plain text Messaging Plain text *HTML Variables For HTML, you can insert variables in [nonexistent] format. For example, use the variable [nonexistent] to insert the agent's chat name into the canned message.Available variables:
- [nonexistent] - The URL of the chat from where the customer started the chat session
- [nonexistent] - The name of the customer as provided on the pre-chat form. If the First name field is available on the pre-chat form then this variable displays only the first name of the customer.
- [nonexistent] - The two-digit code of the country where the customer started the conversation
- [nonexistent] - The region or ZIP code of the country where the customer started the conversation
- [nonexistent] - The city where the customer started the conversation
- [nonexistent] - Email address of the customer as provided on the pre-chat form
- [nonexistent] Phone number of the customer as provided on the pre-chat form
- [nonexistent] - The User Name of the agent as set on the Organization > Agents > Agent Information tab
- [nonexistent] - The Agent Name of the agent as set on the Organization > Agents > Agent Information tab
- [nonexistent] - The Email Name of the agent as set on the Organization > Agents > Email Settings tab
- [nonexistent] - The Chat Name of the agent. If this is unavailable, then the Agent Name of the agent.
- Save your changes. The canned message is made available for responses to incoming conversations for the chosen channel (Chat, Email, or Messaging).