Use the Customer Portal
Each Service Desk account includes a separate Customer Portal, an easy-to-use website that provides your customers with a simple, easy-to-use interface where they can communicate with you and your technicians. Customers can log in to the Customer Portal submit issues or suggestions, browse technician-written knowledge articles and even request live support from technicians on your account (features vary depending on permissions granted by administrators). Administrators can choose which services customers will be able to perform those actions for, and which services they are restricted from.
See Configure Customer Portal Settings for more information about customizing the branding, default settings, security setting and URL of the Customer Portal. See Configure Customer Portal Access Permissions for information about specifying who can access the Customer Portal and how.
Once they log in, the Customer Portal allows customers to do the following (note that some features may not be enabled for all Customer Portals.):
- Create a new incident in order to report an issue, make a request, ask a question or make a suggestion.
- Track the incidents that they have submitted to see when they're addressed.
- Browse support articles in the knowledge base.
- View messages (i.e., announcements) from agents.
To log in to the Customer Portal, use the Portal URL provided by the agent (i.e., "https://my-customer-portal.assist.com/portal").
Customers can use the Customer Portal to communicate with their agents. From the New Incident page, they can report issues, make requests, ask questions and make suggestions (as enabled by administrators). They can then use the My Incidents page to track the submission through its resolution and stay in touch with their agent.
1. Click New Incident in the top navigation.
2. Select the type of incident by clicking Report an Issue, Make a Request, Ask a Question or Make a Suggestion.
Note: Administrators can modify which of these options is available; see Configure Customer Portal Settings for more information.
3. Fill in the information as prompted.
4. Click Save when finished. The incident will be available to view and track under My Incidents.
Customers can view all of the incidents that they submit in the Customer Portal, which allows them to track their progress and even add comments.
1. Click My Incidents in the top navigation to view the My Incidents page.
- Use the "Only assigned to me," "Open" and "Closed" check boxes at the top to filter the incidents.
- Use the "Order by" drop-down menu above the due date to sort the incidents.
- Change the view by clicking the icons.
2. Click an incident to view its details, including the assignee, status and estimated resolution date, as well as comments that the agent leaves on the incident. An activity history is also listed in the right navigation.
3. If desired, click Add a Comment to send a message about the incident to the agent, then click Save when finished.
If agents publish articles to the Customer Portal, customers can browse and view those articles.
1. Click Knowledge in the top navigation.
2. Use the search box to find articles about a particular issue, or just click an article to open it.
3. On the article page, the following options are available (as enabled by administrators):
- Rate the article – Rate the usefulness of the article using the Me too or I still need help with this links.
- Get notifications – Click Watchlist to get email notifications if changes are made to this knowledge article in the future.
- Leave comments – Enter text in the Add a Comment field and click Save to add a comment (if enabled by the agent on a per-article basis).
If agents publish messages to the Customer Portal, customer can view them by clicking Messages in the top navigation.
1. Click Messages in the top navigation.
2. On the message page, the following options are available:
- Get notifications – Click Watchlist to get email notifications if changes are made to this message in the future.
- Leave comments – Enter text in the Add a Comment field and click Save to add a comment (if enabled by the agent on a per-message basis).
Note: Account admins can click Delete to permanently remove a technician and/or customer comment.