Create and Approve Changes
Create a change and fill out the Plan tab
Agents can log in to the Service Desk web application to create and track changes.
1. Log in at .
2. Go to Change > New Change.
3. Select the service under which the change should be created.
4. A new record form is created whenever a change is added to a service. You can create a new Change from an existing template, or start from scratch. Change records use the same basic layout as other record forms and can be filled out as follows:
Plan tab & Status
Note: The maximum file size for uploading attachments is 50 MB.
The Plan tab lists all the content needed for development to be done, including the following:
Each record can have an unlimited number of tasks assigned to it. See Add Tasks for more information.
Service Desk allows records to be linked to customers, configuration items and other records. This helps ensure that related items are easily visible and the connections between them and other items within Service Desk are visible. Since the need for changes often stems from incidents or problems, this is a good opportunity to link them to the change so that they appear within each other's records.
5. If desired, fill out the Build tab and Test tab. See Build Changes and Test Changes for more information.
6. Click Save when finished. See Submit a change for approval for next steps.
Submit a change for approval
Since the goal of changes is to provide a approval system for determining which changes are developed and which are skipped, submitting a change for approval is an important step in the process.
1. Create a change and fill out all fields.
2. Click the ? icon next to Submit for Approval.
3. Select 1 or more change approvers who must decline or approve a change plan before development can continue. Selecting 2 or more change approvers means that a response is required for all of them. All change approvers will be sent an email stating that this change has been submitted for approval (unless the change owner was a change approver themselves).
4. Click Submit for Approval. The status will be modified to "Change currently being reviewed for approval."
5. If the change is approved, see Build Changes for next steps. If it is declined, see Close and Delete Changes.
Approve a submitted change
Note: This feature is available for change approvers on the service only.
1. Open the change that needs to be reviewed.
2. Review the change plan, then click Decline or Approve.
- Clicking Decline will prompt a "Decline Change" text box. Enter the reason for declining the change, then click Save. See Close and Delete Changes for next steps.
- Clicking Approve will cause a "Change Approved" message to appear at the top, and the Plan tab to change to "Approved."
Use Changes and Change Management
Close and Delete Changes